Skip to main content

Good Day Spoiled


All week the weather reports have been advertising a beautiful weekend. Lower 80 degree temps, clear skies and finally the promise that summer has arrived. So, I decided to take a bike trip. I thought about various destinations. Last weekend I took the bike to Willie in Murphysboro to swap out a plastic oil pump gear for a steel one. My bike used plastic and there have been failures that can ruin an engine. Finally some mental stress-free riding. Possibly South to Nauvoo or East to Hennepin. Instead I decided to go to Oquawka-Keithsburg-New Boston-Aledo. I could get a couple catfish at the fish market, have a beer and lunch at Blackies, take a picture of a barge, see Mark in Aledo and then home.

I've had quite a few espenses with the bike this spring:


New tires $400

Towing $80

Steel Oil Gear $248

Gas to go to Murphysboro $120

Pay Willie for the swap $100


So finally good weather, and time, to head out for a day trip.


Well, I got as far as Farm King in Monmouth when the engine started making noise and the oil and water lights started flashing. Crap, double crap.


Well, I had to have it towed, and it is now at a shop in Kirkwood. Marvin came to pick me up and take me home. Another favor from Marvin who seems to spend much time bailing me out of fixes.


Here is a picture of Ron towing the bike to S & K Morotcycle Shop in Kirkwood. Can't think of much good today except I have been invited to Burgess by Marvin to have a beer or six and maybe a cookout. Best drown this day in suds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant