Skip to main content

Day Two - Are We Having Fun Yet?

I swear! If we ever really knew what a pain travelling is we'd never get out the front door. I could not sleep on that plywood board in Uncle Joe's Cabin. I'll bet Uncle Joe is dead. Don't think I got more that 2 1/2 hours of sleep all night. Finally decided to take a shower at 3:00 am and take off. That little box had AC alright but it was very creepy. Heard bugs, cicadas, and other prey all night. There was a spider spinning a web outside one of those dinky windows. All in all, terrible.

I headed out but my dims suck but on the Interstate you can get by with brights until someone passes you. Traffic is minimal but a car comes up behind me flashes its lights. I'm not speeding because night-time driving scares me a bit so I guessed a cop wanted to tell me a light is out somewhere. I'll stop and find out the problem.

Out of the care comes a foreign speaking lady. Now I am worried, shouldn't have stopped, maybe its a scam to rob people -- her posse is in the backseat ready to jump me. But she wants to know Manhattan is and I say, "Lady I haven't a clue." She gets back in her car after I told her Junction City is up ahead and she may be able to ask for directions there. She took off and a sign pointing North - Manhattan appeared probably 10-12 miles after she pulled me over. Rather stimulating for 4:45 in the morning. So that as how my second day started. One long honking day and I'm going through my money too fast. It is all essential stuff: food, pop, gas and place to stay at night, but instead of a base of $30.00 per day I should have made it $50.00. The bike needs $5.00 every 140 miles and if I average 475 miles a day that comes to about $20.00 right there.

Anyway as I was saying, long day. Only 2-3 hours of sleep and back in the saddle. My ass is sore.

It looked like rain so I bailed at Canon City but hasn't rained yet and kick myself for stopping too soon again. But since I didn't get any sleep last night maybe this is OK.
Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. $90.00 but a real bed and swimming pool. Missing everyone bunches now. Guess I'm a little down today, this is tough grueling work and doesn't seem I'm getting anything out of it except farther away from home. I had not seen these mountains since I was in school in Denver. They are beautiful. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant