Skip to main content

This and That

Things on my mind:

1. I really hope the Cubs have a good season, and that means the playoffs. If the Mets can't make it then I hope its the Cubbies. Some of their fans are insufferable. There is one guy at work who will walk by and start in on the Cubs, like I'm going to agree and all that. He knows I'm a Mets fan but evidently doesn't care. Very obnoxious. Cubs broadcaster Ron Santo is the worst: a true embarrassment to the profession. But even besides that I think the fans need a great great season. George Will said this years team is the best since he has been following the team, back in 1948. He also said Cubs fans are 98% scar tissue. So here's to the Cubbies and go all the way!" (If the Mets can't of course.)
2. Saw this item in the paper:
"Elizabeth Taylor was hospitalized for an undisclosed
reason but was expected to return home soon. Dick Guttman, her publicist did not say what
hospital she was staying or
what was ailing the 76 year old actress.
'Ms. Taylor is fine...at present she is surrounded by
family, friends, and fabulous jewels."

Goodness, that sure seems shallow at this point in life. I'd fire that publicist.


3. I'm missing the old house today. It was always cool inside because of all the trees. It's supposed to be 94 degrees today and there is no shade whatsoever in my modest abode in BFE, and it is hot here.

4. I do not miss this:


5. I'm embarrassed by my lack of motivation lately. There are things I need to do around here and I didn't do anything this weekend. I'm not fond of laziness and I am smack dab in the middle of lethargy.

6. What the Hell was that 20-million-to-not-play offer to Brett Favre all about? That is just so humiliating on so many levels.

7. Finished three seasons of watching Battlestar Galactica (OK, go ahead and snicker) on DVD. Hey, this is good stuff. the science-fiction is secondary to good characters and great scripts. The damn thing even won a Peabody Award for Excellence. Try it and I'll bet you will get hooked. Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell star along with 8-10 regulars. And I'm in love with Starbuck.

8. No way am I ready for football.

9. I am now 11 games in front in my fantasy baseball league. I won last year, too, so I guess the traveling trophy will stay in BFE a while longer. My regulars are: Howard, Utley, B. Molina, Berkman, Teixieria, M. Cabrerra, Tulowitzki, Holliday and Taveras.

10. Love driving my convertible in the summer, with tunes blasting.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant