Skip to main content

Various Things Signifying Nothing

You really can't tell by this picture but that is blowing and drifting snow racing across the road that makes the wind every bit as scary as snow itself. This 5 mile road can drift over real fast in a strong wind.
I moved this plant from a west window that did nothing to an east window and look at it bloom. I must really be great with plants.


This is Henry Waxman, a longtime congressman who is making some noise for promising to help President-Elect Obama with the environment. Might I suggest house arrest, a paper bag, or Jason's hockey mask.

My truck was so frozen last Thursday after work my door wouldn't shut. I had to hold the door closed all the way home. Just as I pulled in the driveway it had warmed enough to close on its own. My wrist hurt all night.

Surprisingly, more completed suicides occur in the Spring and not during winter or the holidays.

Funny how we get video of everything these days as events happen, but not of the Miracle on the Hudson, in the middle of the day, in the middle of New York. (This just in. A security camera has footage of the landing. Saw it and it is fascinating.)

One of my weekly highlights as a kid growing up was getting the latest edition of the Sporting News. I'd pore over Mets stats and read every team's updates. I even had a letter (regarding the baseball strike) to the editor published by the Sporting News as late as 1994. I think I remember throwing it away in the Great Flood of 2008.

Speaking of Floods: my supervisor at DC1 approached me this week and gave me a certificate for $25.00 for being accident-free at work for 6 months. I signed up for a Lowe's card to help get a sump pump.

Hey, went to the movies yesterday and saw Gran Torino. Had a great time watching a legend, Clint Eastwood, in what may be his last role in front of the camera. This is the kind of flick that makes going to the movies such great fun. Lots of laughs, a good story, and with deeper messages for those looking for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant