Skip to main content
Just some random, meaningless things:

I have been emailing with my niece, Ashley, who moved to the Quad-Cities last year from stays in Kansas and the Washington DC/Virginia area. I had not had much contact with her and am quite happy to say she is an extremely thoughtful and bright kid, not to mention a knock-out. She sends great reviews on movies and life and I am richer by her correspondence.

The most overused words I hear nowadays are:

"absolutely" (why say 'yes' when we can throw out a 4 syllable word instead)
"exactly" (why say yes when we can throw out a 3 syllable word instead)
"no question about it" (mainly from sportscasters who claim supremacy over their thoughts)
"wow" (I am an offender, please forgive me)
"uhh" (Ron Santo, every third word of every sentence, usually incomplete) Oh, and Ron and Chicagoland, after 30 years and innumerable votes, you ain't gonna go into the Hall. It is because your were a very good player, but not great, and it is a vote on baseball ability not likeability.

It was exactly one year ago today Nancy and I moved out of our big old Victorian at 515 Chambers in Galesburg. It was a Hell of a day.

Fantasy baseball is back again. The Metros will be defending their championship of the last 2 years. Three-peat!! We declare our keepers on the 18th with March 25th Draft Day. There are only 4 owners left of the original 10 teams we started a long time ago at the Mary Davis Home.

Brendan didn't make it back this week. Looks more like next week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Final Army stuff that has to be processed, evidently. Like Brendan said, "There is Bullshit, then there is Army Bullshit." We are planning a fun 3 weeks and possibly a quick 3 day trip to Florida.

I have just started the 6th and final season of the Sopranos. Generally like the series a lot, but still think it slows down when he is in therapy. Thinking of starting my own family over here in BFE. All "earners" welcome to apply.

The Oscars bored me by 9:30 so I went to bed and read.

I need a Burgess night.

Comments

  1. I STILL have nightmares about that move....hell is such a gentle word for what that mess became!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant