Skip to main content

Ramblings About Nothing

Posts have been few and far between lately, huh? Nothing really going on of interest.

1. Baseball started and I have yet to see the Mets in their new stadium. Speaking of baseball my fantasy team has been overhauled even in the first week which goes to show you how confident I am of its success.

2. Today is Easter and will most likely go to brother Mark's for dinner.

3. Yesterday Tim and Chris and I went to Galesburg on the bikes and checked out Nees Harley-Davidson. After that we went to the smoke shop to check out cigars, then to the Pub's beer garden (or is it garten)for a couple beers and some colorful G-burg denizens.

4. Watched "Doubt" last night. I am a Meryl Streep fan and have been forever. Her acting in this little flick is incredible but are those wrinkles on her face?

5. Speaking of movies I also saw "Milk" and "Slumdog Millionaire" in the past week. Slumdog was a bit tough to get into, but once I was in I liked it. Milk was very good and for the first time actually like Sean Penn.

6. I think I will plan a trip to Florida in the next few weeks. It will be odd to leave and not have to worry about Missy.

7. I am reading "American Rust" on my kindle.

8. Someone gave me a list of statistics on Ron Santo and why he should be in the Hall. I may have to change my mind. He actually compares well with Brooks Robinson and he is in the HOF.

9. The best TV series ended its season run on Friday. "Friday Night Lights" has been renewed for two more years. Yeah!

10. I see where the Pope has urged peace and an end to poverty once again. Has there been a Pope in the last 500 years who didn't? Why does that make headlines? No, to me a real news story would be for the Pope to come out FOR genocide, hate and repugnance for the world's poor. Geez, Bennie!

11. Hoping everyone has a memorable Easter with family and loved ones. And yeah, peace and prosperity to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant