Skip to main content

More Heat-Induced Inanity

1. Joined "Lifestyle" a family fitness center just a block away. Wanna look good for the Beach Bunnies.


2. Finished reading "The Art of Racing In The Rain" by Garth Stein on the recommendation of Karen after Missy died. It did everything it was supposed to do, and thanks Karen. This book is very sad. But it is also humorous, and filled with love, devotion, philosophy and hopefulness.





3. Because of the heat a few days ago I decided to go 'Floridian' and ride the motorcycle in my shorts. It was going to be a short ride and I didn't need to go full biker. However, I burned my leg on the tailpipe so I have learned an important lesson. Regardless of the weather wear jeans. Anything else goes, but wear jeans!











4. I don't know what they trying to do here, but some of it was staged. Look at the kid on the right holding his pogo so the other one could land on it or perhaps they were working on a double-pogo jump.

5. Checking out Carrie's blog, http://northhendersoncommunitycenter.blogspot.com/, and noticed they have filled a giant pothole in front of my house in North Henderson. She made a comment about upgrading the town after the riff-raff left. I am reminded of Robert Mitchum's remark to a reporter when asked how his stay in jail was (marijuana usage): "It was like Palm Springs without the riff-raff. "


6. Old Blue seems to have been saved. A local company, Tire Kingdom has promised to fix it at a far lesser price than a new or used truck payment. Yippee! From 4-5 year payments on a new or used truck down to a small bill for fixing things. Blue is back and looking better than ever - no more bike hauling.


7. The trip across the Skyway Bridge has been postponed till next Sunday due to transportation needs and my truck in the shop.


8. I get this feeling that everyone is having fun at NHCC (I have photographic evidence) and I'm missing it.


9. Man, I want a 40" HDTV.


10. I was telling Mark, my new barber, that I wanted to be here at least through the winter up North. He said this was Florida's winter - the heat it makes this place kinda tough, but it really gets nice in October. Interesting perspective.


11. My neighbor here has offered me a job, sort of. He wants to see my resume but talks a lot about passion, devotion and commitment to the job. Wow. Not sure if I'm up to that. I just want to stock shelves at Publix grocery store.


12. I have a chance to get reduced tickets to the Rays game against Toronto or Texas. Gonna go to one of them. Can't wait. Its been years since I've been to a major League game.


13. Starting to plan a WEEK-long visit back to Illinois in September. Cold beer, stimulating conversation, loose women, riding bikes like bats outta Hell, dew in the morning, and maybe climbing the grain tower in BFE.

14. Mets are out of it this year. Another disappointing season. If we can't do it, then go Cubs.

15. I have been given the green light to start looking for another canine companion. Not sure if I'd ever pull the trigger on it, but nothing hurts to look, does it? Could there be another Missy out there? No. But a reasonable facsimile may be possible.

Comments

  1. HD TVs seem over-rated to me. I keep checking them out, but I don't like how they look when there is fast motion - blurring or "pixelation." To me, bang for the buck isn't there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant