Skip to main content

Trip To Parrish

It was a trip I had been avoiding for weeks. I don't know why. Maybe it was the distance, the fear of finding my way back. Whatever the reason I hopped on my bike this morning (Sunday 11th) and took I-275 out of town across the Skyway bridge and across the Bay to Parrish. I had a cigar and a couple bucks for a beer I had planned to have at the local Parrish bar. The bridge and ride was awesome as it was truly the first open road since I arrived in the Sweatbox. There were gobs of bikes, in fact as I eased onto the interstate a group of maybe 20 bikes had passed me by a quarter of a mile. It is a toll road and they had a Skypass so they zoomed on through the toll gate while I fumbled for my dollar. As I got going again I wasn't in a hurry so they were quite a bit ahead of me as I am trying to see the water, the bridge and still stay on concrete. Wonderful ride. I'm going about 75 mph and now I'm across and heading on I-275 when I see a "Y": South to Bradenton and North to Tampa. I know I am not to get anywhere near Tampa, but I also know Bradenton is too far to the South. I take the Tampa road and not more than a mile or two I see the Parrish turn-off. Two lane road, orange grove on the right, and not a car in sight. The roads are great, too. Not a pot hole in sight. Certainly not like the BFE-Alexis-Burgess road, or the BFE-150 road. Nice paved roads. Traffic was pretty light and the weather was perfect. About 88 degrees and 10:00 am.
5 miles down the road I drive into Parrish. No bar so no cigar. But I see about 20 motorcycles just pulling in to a "Florida Railroad Museum". Sorry, done all my railroads. Been waitin', seein', hearin' railroads for too long. Enjoy Florida bikers, it may be cool for you guys, but I'm going to pass today.
On the way back I stop at the rest area to take my pictures, but I have to tell you, I'm not real proud of my cheap little Canon. The bridge pictures are terrible, and I apologize. It is quite a sight and these pics don't so them justice.
On the way back I got lost because I took the wrong exit. I didn't see an exit for the road I needed, and I took an exit that took me a couple blocks from Tropicana Field. After a call to my human GPS I made it home in good shape. Nice way to start the day and glad I did it.
I would have liked to have my Mild Ones brothers (and sisters) with me but until we hook up again, this will have to do.


Is this an orange grove?

A picture of the Skyway from a rest area at its base.

Guys with those cool Jet Skis at the rest area and simply walked to the concession area. It was real shallow.

Another pic of the bridge. Sorry, but my camera really suck at these and I don't know why.

My Kawasaki that hasn't been used very often down here in the Sweatbox. Click on the picture to see the BFE signatures on the side cover.

View Larger Map

Map of my trip. Click on "View Larger Map" to see a better picture of my trip.

Comments

  1. Lucky you......sounds like a nice ride? and thanks for posting the Florida forcast on the front page. The way the weather is up here, it'll be June before we ride again?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant