Skip to main content

Day Eight - Back in Florida and Final Thoughts


So the trip is over and I have a few thoughts:


Marvin and Janine couldn't have been better hosts. They provided for all of our needs and wants and made us feel comfy instead of invaders. We have all heard the old saying that house guests and fish begin to stink after three days. Perhaps we did, but you couldn't have guessed it from Marv and Janine. Wonderful people. They went above and beyond and sure appreciate their hospitality and loved their company. It was also nice to see Richard, Andrea and the girls. Great family. Thanks for everything. Who could have guessed but awful happy we had a chance to see Gib one more time as well. My best to the family and to Jo, who had supper with us the last night we were there. She is a strong lady and I think she will be just fine.


Our last day we had the opportunity to go to Sparland and see Nancy's sister Carollynn. Her husband Bill joined us and we had a nice lunch. Afterward Bill walked me over to the shed and showed me his old cars. I honestly don't know how many he has, and he may not also, since some of them are parts cars. If I can remember, though, we saw a '66 Charger, a '59 Pontiac Catalina, a 2008 Challenger with only 2000 miles. In addition, there was a '57 Studebaker Golden Eagle, and a '68 Plymouth Fury convertible. Being presently out of the old car 'club' I was alternately sad but it was also nice to see them. Very hospitable and thanks.


During the trip I also had breakfast with Pat and Becky at Becky's house. She had some Tanner Orchard cider donuts so that was quite nice. She has a cat named Boothe who has the ability to find the one person in any group who doesn't like cats, and, yes, Boothe found me.


In a bit of irony, Drew, Mackenzie's fiance was on the same plane from St. Pete we were about to board. He is up here to take care of some business and it just worked out that way, so it's one of those "small world" events.


Allegiant Airlines is way cool. Non-stop and depending on the flight it can be a cheap ride. Like I said earlier our tickets were $19.99 one way. It can get pretty expensive sometimes though, so anyone wanting to come down and visit should be advised it fluctuates wildly.


Marvin brought a cold home with him from South Dakota, and is spreading it around, most recently to Nancy.


We missed going to Mt. Pleasant for a Jerry's Pizza, and that I will miss greatly.


We went to Gordman's and saw a pink flamingo that will be used on our Christmas Corona beer commercial spoof. Oddly enough, as Nancy pointed out, Mark shipped a flamingo up North when he was here for his porch. And we ship one down South for us. Strange.


Very sorry I didn't have a chance for more riding on the bike. The weather really sucked and was rainy. I did get a few miles on Friday with Tim but had really expected a nice long one with the Mild Ones. Oh well. Good to see the McCutcheons and their new dog. Diane and Rod stopped by with some great snacks and of course the beer is alway cold in BFE.


We had brats and steak on the grill on separate occasions at Marvin and Janine's and it really struck me how great food is on the grill. I miss mine. But, alas, no grills allowed here.

There were problems throughout the week, some of our making some not, but overall it was a nice visit back home. I can't shake the Midwest: the weather, the bike riding, my friends, the open roads and space. My family thinks I'm crazy for harboring thoughts of returning to the area, and perhaps they are right. But, dang, I miss most of it except for the icy roads and impassable snow.


PS - It's always fun to see (and eat) what Holly has in her candy dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant