Skip to main content

My Politics









Existing in BFE blog has tried to stay away from politics.  This is so as not to ruffle feathers,  hurt feelings,  or injure relationships.  However I have written some things in the past that have, if not bordered, then certainly surrounded such discourse.  I generally don't like "in your face" political discussion or people who wear their politics like an overpowering cologne.  Our family was quiet politically: we discussed ideas and mulled policies, but we were all free to choose our individual path.  My father was almost a lifelong Republican like his father.  To his credit, he did change his mind late in life and voted Democrat at lead once.  On the other side, our mother was a Democrat and so we boys had both views.  


When Mark and I turned 16, our grandfather V.G. drove up to see us before we caught the bus for school, and after a painfully long walk up the sidewalk he came in and had a seat at the dining room table.  He said, "Happy Birthday, boys.  You should do two things in your life:  marry a good cook, and vote Republican. Goodbye."  He then stood up and began the long walk back to his car.  Mark and I were dumbstruck.  










With that I now break my "No Politics" policy to regale you with my political views.  They say once you buy your first home you become a Republican.  Since I spent so much time in the hallowed halls of liberal institutions, I started at full youthful leftist and have gradually moved farther to the center every year.  I am now a moderate centrist, more or less, having learned that no one side has all the answers.   It almost makes me a Free Agent of sorts.  Some people vote like their parents, some according to how it will help them financially, how candidates look,  the direction they want the country to go, and I suppose a thousand other reasons I suppose.  I like the freedom to decide with no shackles of history, parentage, or unwitting following without a clue.   George Will once responded to lack of election-day voting by saying it was just as well the ignorant and uninformed stayed out of the booth.   I don't know how I'll vote this year.  See, I'm a free agent and have a year to decide.           








My Politics

I am not far right nor far left.
I am in the middle, I take the best from both.

I am for less government, when possible.
I am for less taxes, when possible.

I am not a hawk nor a dove. 
We should engage in war when other Americans or our national security is jeopardized, and if genocide threatens masses of people.

I think we should only give foreign aid to those nations who spend wisely and in our interests.
If you are here illegally, get legal.

I believe we must continue to fully fund Social Security and Medicare, and keep doing it until a better system is devised.
I think only when everyone has health insurance will we be a truly "healthy" society.

I believe we should spend within our budget, balance it if possible, and should bring down the deficit. 
Only through spending cuts and increased taxes can that be accomplished.  

I am against abortion, but we can't legislate what is a woman's right to choose.
I am for state's rights, except when it is the provenance of the federal government.   

Everyone should pay taxes, even the poor, if it's only a dollar.
I am pro-business but they should pay their fair share of taxes.
I am for a simple flat tax.

If you want a gun buy it.
If you want an assault rifle, join the army.

I think Democrats and Republicans lie.
I am for term limits.
I think campaigning should last 6 months and no longer.

I can't stand Mitch McConnell.
I can't stand Nancy Pelosi.


The Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street demonstrators are tapped into the same societal discontent and we should, if not embrace, at least not hinder their right to peaceful protest.  
I believe the odds are stacked against the common masses, but that's not a new phenomena.  Nothing will change: the guys with the money have the power.  

I will respectfully hear your arguments.
Please hear mine with respect as well.
Neither of us will change our minds.  

I voted for George Bush once.
I voted for Barack Obama once.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant