Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1. “This is America, where a white Catholic male Republican judge was murdered on his way to greet a Democratic Jewish woman member of Congress, who was his friend. Her life was saved initially by a 20-year old Mexican-American gay college student, and eventually by a Korean-American combat surgeon, all eulogized by our African American President.” Allen Ginsburg via bluegal Allen Ginsburg via bluegal on the Tucson shootings.

2. This was a comment I heard by a professor from Dominican University, which I find wholeheartedly true. "Happiness is not a destination, but, rather, a way to travel." I think a lot of us get that wrong.


3. I really am tired of that prancing transformer fellow on Fox Football games. Also, I think that advertising campaign with the babies talking about investment was funny to see once, then as soon as they started puking that just about did it for me.

4. I really am saddened by missing the blizzard, or as nephew Aaron called it snOMG. The fact is, I am a midwesterner at heart, and my peeps went through something that besides being once in a lifetime is also rather exciting at times. Besides, I have always loved blizzards: the unnaturalness of it, the community of it, the survival, the anticipation, the usual letdown. No letdown this time, though. I should have been there.

5. I saw a garbage truck in St. Pete on Saturday that had been painted pink and had the breast cancer awareness ribbon on it. Have we gone one item too pink? I took a picture of it but I don't know how to download it off my phone in a good size ratio.

6. Under the "OK, What The Hell Is Going On" file:



NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have added a second daughter to their family, born through a surrogate mother.

The couple announced Monday the arrival of Faith Margaret Kidman Urban, born on Dec. 28 at a Nashville, Tenn., hospital.

Kidman and Urban released a statement saying they are "truly blessed" and thanked everyone for their support, "our gestational carrier" in particular.

OK, that's nice.  So Nicole can't conceive. I didn't know, but then I don't really keep up with celebrities.  Now, how does that work?  Does Keith have sex with the the gestational carrier?  So, Keith gets to have two women in his marriage?  I'm not sure I understand.  But, wait, there's more:   

The couple also has a 2-year-old daughter, Sunday Rose. Kidman credited her first daughter's unexpected appearance to swimming in the waters of a small Australian Outback town during the filming of "Australia." She and six other women became pregnant after swimming in Kununurra.

Alright what the Hell is that?  You mean Nicole went swimming in a semen-infested river in Australia?  Really?  What the Hell is this anyway?  I saw this article in an ordinary news item on Yahoo.  Am I the only one who doesn't understand how all this works?  

All I can say is its great to Be Keith Urban, and ain't no way my daughter's ever going to Australia.  Oh wait.  My daughter's pregnant.  I think she did it the old fashioned way.  G'Day.


7.  I've come to like Florida.  Don't tell anyone.  

8. A buddy of mine from Galesburg had this to say about my post on Monday, January 24th: "Oh hey by the way, the picture in your blog with the guy that you say is always standing in the same spot that smells like cigars and you are wondering what he is doing/thinking standing there, he is probably wondering why someone is taking pictures of him.
I do like all the pictures you put in your blog, it makes me wish I could slow down throughout the day and take random pictures, there are just too many interesting things to see/experience in one day that we usually pass by without even noticing."

Sounds to me like a great idea for DD. Kids and cameras.

9. Saw "Buried" on DVD last week. You would be doing yourself a favor to pick it up. Yup, a guy is buried in Iraq as a contractor/hostage kind of thing. The camera NEVER leaves the box but there is all kinds of action. Damn good flick. Don't let it just fade, fade away.


On the other hand, the less said about super favorite of many, "Inception", the better.

10. I don't watch much TV but I have followed American Idol through the years to my shame. This years judges aren't exactly wowing me. I liked Simon's acerbic wit, rapier evaluations and ability to slice and dice the over-egoistic. I'm not liking the new, nicer version. I also am not keen on the manipulation of the audience: to wit, if there are age restrictions, why bring on an obviously mentally challenged 59 year old who can't sing, except to titlate us, the audience. Yes, I'm talking about the Human Tornado, who wheezed and shuffled last week. It was racist, in poor taste and served only to get the unwashed masses at home chuckling and guffawing at the detritus of our society. Oh, and Steven's uncontrollable screeching is a bit much. J-Lo is pretty to look at and I'm told pretty big in the music industry, so she can stay.

11. “I wake up every day and I stretch out my arms and if I don’t feel any wood on either side, then I know I can get up.” Maurice Franklin


12.





Coming back from downtown on the bike path I heard a faint hum for a while and like a dumbass I'm looking around and behind me trying to figure it out.  Then I saw this little baby floating above.  It is the DirectTV blimp that has the world's largest HD TV screen on its side.  Don't know why it was here, and hard to figure out where it is based.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant