Skip to main content

M-M-M-Madoff and the Mets! Bernie! Bernie!

That obscure but clever title is to be sung to the tune of Bennie and the Jets.  If only my loyalties could be trifled with by a light hearted and lesser tune from the John vault.  But, alas, my ties as a fan to the New York Mets have hit a major speed hump.  One of my youthful indiscretions was to peruse the sports section as a wee lad and pick an anti-Cubs team as my favorite.  I was young.  I picked the Mets: I started at the top and scanned down tot eh bottom and there were the lowly New Yorkers in last place.  I wanted to root for an underdog and since everyone I knew was a Cubs fan I wanted separation.  I got it.

Although many years were horrible we had bestowed on us a miracle in '69.  A true heaven sent, God-like gift that is still seen today as improbable.  A World Series visit and victory that year when it seemed like the Cubs were unstoppable.  We have been to the Series again in '73, '86, and 2000.  All good times, all unbelievably exciting.  Interspersed were truly horrible years that have seen us more often in last place than in first.

My loyalties have remained even with the ups and downs of incompetent management, poor behavior, monumentally bad free-agent signings and rebuilding plans that never reach fruition.  It has remained, although shaken, by the choke seasons of '07 and '08: identical years when we were way ahead in the last month only to lose it in the last series or so.

But now we are embroiled in a mess that makes problems of the past seem quaint.  It appears that our beloved (sarcasm) owner, Fred Wilpon, benefited from his close association with Bernie Madoff, the guy who destroyed lives with his 24 billion dollar Ponzi scheme 2 years ago.  Hell, even Bernie's son committed suicide last year on the second anniversary.  While thousands lost their entire savings, 401K's, and investments, the Wilpons were drawing out 12% each month from their accounts regardless of the market swings.

As a result, the trustee working to get back lost money for the victims has, it would appear, appropriately singled out Fred, Fred's brother-in-law and others in the inner circle for a lawsuit that could be as high as 1 billion dollars.


Excusing the implications this has on the operations: no free-agent signings this winter, the moral and ethical void existing in ownership rattles my blind-faithed fandom.  While it is tempting to switch allegiances (the Rays are a pretty cool team) I simply cannot turn my back on a lifetime of loyalty.  So, I have decided to keep an eye on the lawsuit (perhaps the Wilpons will sell), or they will settle (thus satisfying the trustee and awarding money to the victims).  I'll stick with them and hope this is settled swiftly and honorably.  Until then however, I have decided to retire my 25 year old key chain (above) and place it in my box of personal memorabilia to fondle when I am in Rest In Peace nursing home.  If you read this blog, Fred, do the right thing, and Go Mets.     
                 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant