Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


This is one of those priceless pictures that means a lot to me.  This is a football game that we played in Seaton one Fall weekend.  I have no idea what year this was, but he bike in front was either Mark's or mine, so it had to have been pre-16 years of age.  The lot is half ours and the other half is Arminta McKelvey's.  We used this area for baseball games, too and more than once we busted one of Arminta's windows. I'm not certain but I think I'm the one second from right in the red flannel shirt.  I'm not sure of anyone else in the picture but it looks like Dad on the other team just at the phone pole. Mark and Phil would have been here, too.  We had so many for the game that we even had a bench over to the far left.     


This is brother Phil pulling Mark and I around the neighborhood.  Looks like we're over at Mabel and Roy's right next door. 

My mom's parents, Dick and Mona Westlake.  They lived in Quincy and were extremely fun people.  This is a typical pose as it looks like Dick just said something funny and perhaps a bit off-color and Mona looking over reproachably.

We used to go down to see them when I was a kid and they lived in a cool house with a garage on a lower level. I visted the old place a few years ago when I was in Quincy and it didn't look anyhting like I remembered.  Isn't that the way with young eyes. 

One other thing is Mona always fixed custard for me.  Haven't had one since but when I was 5 or 6 or 7 she would bake these things and wrap the bowl in a handkerchief or kitchen towel of some sort for the trip home.   

Comments

  1. Great picture of Dick and Mona. I never had the pleasure of meeting them. He looks like he just told a great joke that Mona wished he wouldn't have. Do you know when this picture was taken? In the wagon, do you know how old you and Mark are? Which one is my pops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos! I can clearly tell who is who - you have your head tilted back and pops is leaning forward. Bingo! Tell me I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick was always doing things at picture taking times to get a laugh or smile. I have one picture that I will try to find wher ehe has just pinched Mona's butt. It is a classic take where he is laughing like a 10 year old and she is looking his way with a not too happy look.
    I don't know about the wagon picture. Mark and I couldn't have been too old and he is the one on the left.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant