Skip to main content

I Don't Want the Peacock Lamp Anymore

You might remember my fondness for a Peacock lamp that we saw in a furniture store a few days ago. I was quite smitten with it and thought it would be a great item to have, one of those sort of odd things people have that others talk or laugh about. The only thing that kept me from having it was the $600 price tag.

Well, forget about the peacock, I found a better one. Whilst browsing a local 60's-70's antique shop ( and whatever you do don't call it a thrift store! So say the signs) I spotted this little beauty right next to the cash register blinding me with its bright green light with a red bulb in the center. It awakened in me instantly a childhood recollection of a movie, yes, War of the Worlds. And that's what it is, too. Apparently someone named Joey Manic was hired to create modern weird lamps. He did this as a take-off on the alien spacecraft in that film with Gene Barry.



There it sits.  Hefty price tag, too, but not as much as the peacock.  I must have it, but how?  I just bough appliances for Henderson, and a furnace is next.  Hmmm.  A benefit!!  Or perhaps a raffle.  Maybe we can put on a show.  But, alas, I have no talent, except to sound like Charlie the Tuna underwater.   

Pictures (not mine) from Ebay listing of the same lamp:


This shop also sells its items on Ebay.  Notice the menacing hovering of the light.  The malevolent death rays from the single red eye.



A perfectly menacing front light area.


A stamp on the top says "Joey Manic"



There is also a red light in the housing that lights up.


The on-off switch is in the housing and is a set of keys.  Clever.  The housing has that strong thick metallic look of 50's autos.  I must have it.  I must have it.  I must have it.  I must have it.  I must have it.  If you have one of these in the basement let me know.

Comments

  1. I just came across your blog. I have one of the Joey Manic lamps you have posted on this blog. I am interested in selling it if it would bring a few hundred dollars. Any place online to list them where people are looking?

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebay and Craigslist are the only places I know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant