Skip to main content

A Last Tribute To Ernie, A BFE Character

Back on February 2nd I posted that a BFE character had passed away the previous November.  His name was Ernie, and I was a perturbed that I couldn't find a picture of him on his bike and I had misplaced a movie I made of him.  Well, I found the movie, and as we approach the 1st anniversary (December 4) of his death it seems fitting that this final tribute video be posted. 

I was only around Ernie 5 times, maybe 6. He'd be riding his bike and need a beer so he'd go over to the NHCC. I was told he was in an auto accident and his cognitive powers had been compromised. I don't know how compromised, I never knew him before. But he was riding bikes now. The bike he rode, and took great pride in, was a kind of home-made contraption which consisted of some actual Hoover vacuum parts. At one time he had duct-taped and plastic-tied his tire to the rim to keep it on.


When he stopped by I did what I normally did at the NHCC and that was to sit back, keep quiet and get educated. I took pictures of Ernie and one time even made a movie of him talking about something. I couldn't find the video but did find this picture of him and his bike. A piece of art. A man proud of his creation.

I heard Ernie died this past winter and so the community has one less character. He would stop by and in a loud unmodulated voice start talking about all kinds of things, but he would always get a cold beer and put on a show. He might wangle a second beer, too, and we'd sit there and laugh, converse and keep things going. We were polite, chat back, maybe glance at each other and be exasperated but amused at the same time.


And now he is gone and except for his family and a few close friends, likely forgotten before too long. Like the lady said in the movie, "Our footsteps are soon washed away." Ernie will be soon be washed away. And I think, that we are all Ernies. The world's business will keep going. It did after Ernie and will after me. The world needs characters. I'm way too cautious, too quiet, too insecure, with too much introspection. I'll never be a character, but Ernie was and damn, I miss him already.


Ernie was a BFE character who rode around on a bike half manufactured from spare parts he would find.  There was a part from a Hoover vacuum ads well as duct tape and cable ties to keep the tires on the rim.  You see, Ernie was in a car accident a few years ago and he never was the same.  I didn't know that Ernie, just the one that would ride by the Community Center and ask for a beer and then stay for two.  He'd talk about all kinds of things, then get on his bike and ride off.


This was filmed nefariously and I apologize for that.  Pay no attention to that man who walks by every so often.  I just thought that Ernie needed remembered, don't we all, and this is he, alive and healthy and living his dream in BFE.  We should all be as happy.  So long, again, Ernie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant