Skip to main content

Make A Memory This Christmas





This picture has one of Marj's flocked trees.   She would hoist them by rope over one of the rafters in the garage and use several cans of spray flock to get just the right look.  Green and blue balls with blue lights. Everything in this picture is well remembered,  even the items on the mantel.  It wouldn't be too much later the the parents would put a gas fireplace in and the shutters would be a thing of the past.

Looks like I was in mid-wrestle with Phil while Mark looks too angelic.  My guess is he did something to instigate things or he is about to.   


I remember one Christmas morning being awakened by bells. Mark and I went out to the living room and saw 2 new Schwinn bikes that had push-button bells. Red bigger Schwinns and Grandpa Dick and Herb were pushing the bells to wake us up.

I remember one Christmas after a show at the church we toddlers put on and getting a stuffed bear.


I remember many Christmas where I'd count all the packages everyone got.  Sometimes more than once.


I remember Decembers going to bed and seeing the multi-colored lights shining through the bedroom windows onto the ceiling.


I remember Christmas mornings when Marj would fix French toast and sausage for breakfast.

I remember Herb and I working on a few Christmas scotch and waters to get in the festive spirit(s). This was after I'd turned of age, of course.


I remember a couple of Christmases when it was difficult for people to get to the Seaton homestead from wherever that were due to weather.


I remember one Christmas we boys got a reel-to-reel tape player. We thought that was the neatest thing. Sure wish we still had the recordings we made through the years with that.


I remember on more than one Christmas we got that cool football game that moved the players electrically.

I remember the tin foil tree with the color light that went around.


I remember going over to the Levine's every New Years for egg nog.


I remember the laughs, the food, the presents, and the joy of family.


I hope that you had the same experiences and that you will add to them this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant