Skip to main content

Eddie


My best high school buddy was "Fast Eddie" Ed Johnson.  He had the best car, in my opinion,  a neat looking 62 Chevy.  Of course all the farmer boys had the newest hottest cars, but Eddie had the classic of all classics.  We cruised all over Mercer and Rock Island Counties in that car, drank some beer in that car and smoked some cigarettes in that car, too.  I went to my first tittie show with Ed at the Mounds in Davenport.  Back then the normal high school after school activity was "scooping the loop" around Aledo and when available, heading out to the back roads with a six-pack, or up the the Cities.  We did a lot of cruising, usually taking his wheels, because I was into the time-sharing thing with the Wombie, and using my grampa's would undercut my leverage with the folks for one of my own.  Naturally, the regularity of the cruises depended on our respective girlfriend status.  It was a lot of fun and the talks we had were like lots of guy chats in HS, I suppose.  But it forms a bond that truly lasts a lifetime.  

Like what happens in life, we graduated and moved on; I went on to college in Iowa, and Ed went to Civil Engineering school in Morrison, and we went on with our lives.   I ended up in Galesburg working for my County and Ed ended up in Peoria working for his.  He'd stop by occasionally and I went to Peoria once or twice  myself.  By all accounts, Ed became something of a recluse, I couldn't get him to a class reunion, not that I was a steady attendee myself.  He had kids and worked like we all do.  The last time I saw Ed was when his mother, Margaurite, passed away a few years ago.   Then I lost his number.  

Ed lived out at Sugar Grove during HS,  and had the sweetest mom.  When I'd stop by I'd sit and chat for awhile and Eddie was always ready to get going.  She'd still be chatting while we were pulling out.  There was a propeller hanging on the wall that belonged to his Dad who was a flier, and, who consequently died from a crash.  Anyway, Dad had a garage in Sugar Grove. 

Fast forward to last August and the wonders of the internet.  I finally found his number and called to catch up.   Remarkably, one of his kids lives in Wesley Chapel, about 30 minutes away.  He has an old truck which is pictured below. 


Ed sits for his grand kid, H.,  and is retired from the County now.  We still have a couple of things in common.  In one of our recent talks Ed told me the story behind the picture below.  There was a giant junk yard north of Aledo with thousands of old cars, and trucks and other pieces of iron.  It no longer exists, but every time we'd head up to the cities you'd go by this acreage and all those vehicles sure made you want to just wander around.  But because of litigation worries and other reasons, the owners never let people go explore.  

But Ed wanted something from a truck like his Dad had at the garage.  He asked for permission from the younger Henderson but he said no, bit after some pleading Ed got the older Henderson to say yes.  So off he goes into the biggest yard in West-Central Illinois and looks for a truck, any truck, like he remembers his Dad having.  And you know what?  Yep, you guessed it.  He stumbled on the real truck his Dad had, complete with side paint and was able to take the entire driver's side door.  He had it restored, and repainted just like how his Dad had it.  Is that a cool story or what?

       
This picture is Ed's grandson, H., and the restored original door of his Dad' truck.  Included are some pictures of the old place in Sugar Grove.  Really great idea, and luck played a huge role.  Imagine the sentimental value of that old door.  Remarkable story and well done.

Anyway, I've got Ed's number again, and when I return to God's Country (or visit) one of my first stops will be to see my old buddy Ed again.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant