Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - Golf And The Blythes

One doesn't engage in the sport of golf without knowing that it will break your heart.  The family was involved in the sport through the Oak View Country Club in Aledo.  Herb spent weekends attempting to conquer the sport and occasionally did.  Mark and Phil did their share of swinging the club and I did as little as possible.  It just never hooked me like the others.  I enjoyed the game once in a while but more often than not it was expensive, frustrating, socially awkward for me if others golfed with us.  Yeah, that old shyness bugaboo. 


                                      

Herb, with cigar, teeing off.


Mark, the human auger, about to shank it.


Phil is a good solid golfer, never gets in trouble.  Doesn't do it much but when he does, he'll be good. 

These are the only pictures I am aware of that record the Blythes' teeing off.  Of course, the guy with the camera never gets his picture taken, so there isn't one of me that exists in the world.  Which, I think is fortuitous.  I always meant to play a round with Neighbor Tim but my clubs were chucked in the trash by Holly so there you go.  Glad she did it, of course, as they must have been defective.  This was a few years ago at the first Mike Johnson Open at Oak Run that was in the 90's.  Golf was a family passion that seems to have escaped me.  I decided to sit in a lawn chair during the summer showing off my old cars.  Sure, I went out there and hacked around, but I never golfed enough to be even substandard.  In a family with around 3 or 4 holes-in-one, I'm sure I was a disappointment.  I was the only member of the family that was never a member of the Oak View Country Club.  I still have some score cards with dates that were special enough for me to keep. 



These pictures were taken in the front yard of the old homestead.  Whenever we got together we'd play shooting range since there was farm ground around us.  Is that Mackenzie and Brendan running to the car?   

My only claim to fame is an eagle on number 8 hole at OVCC.  Pure luck and incredibly cosmic bounces, no doubt.  It was one of those deals where you spend time looking all around the hole then look in the hole...just in case.  And there it was. 

Herb, of course, has passed away, Phil is too busy to play, so Mark is the lone practitioner these days.  I would be remiss in remarking that shortly after Herb's passing, the Club erected a bench area between the 6th and 7th holes with his name on it.  It was at this spot that Herb had his heart attack and subsequently passed away a week or so later.  It is quite a monument to a pretty swell father and friend to many.  I have a picture of it somewhere and when I come across it, I'll post it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant