Skip to main content

Pictures of My Travels On A Saturday

Out and about in St. Petersburg on a Saturday.  Camera in hand to bring you what I see.



A good old fashioned Pancake Breakfast at the Gulfport Lion's Club.  Gulfport is only about 10 blocks away.  It's on the other side of Clam Bayou which straddles Shawshank on the West.   $5.00 for all you can eat.  It was fairly similar to the ones I used to go to up North.  I loved, loved going to those but I don't know why.  Maybe because the food was always good, and I love breakfast.  Back North Appleton, and East Galesburg had the best, but Alexis' was darn good, too.  I liked to go early, just about as they are opening so it wouldn't be too crowded.  At this Lion's it wasn't crowded and discovered they are trolling for members.  They only have 23 members and from the list of projects they are spread real thin.


Espied this at Home Depot.  It was a mini-washer.  I want one. real bad.  Real bad.




There was a fire here at Shawshank a month ago.  I drove by the place but never went down the lane.  Didn't want to be a rubbernecker but went down this morning because I could see a car in their burned up garage.  Oh my Lord.  Lying sideways on burned tires was a 1966 Chrysler.  Not sure if it was a Newport, New Yorker or 300, but any old burned up classic car sends chills up an old car enthusiasts spine.  I remember a guy in Galesburg I rented storage for one of my old cars was driving to Wataga in his classic Mustang and it caught on fire.  It was a shell by the time the fire truck got there and he just went to the side of the road and cried.  This picture is "cry-worthy", too.  


The license plate on this bike reads - YRU FAT.


First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton.  A Confessing Church.  Gee I'm an old lapsed Presbyterian and I didn't know we had to confess.



Saw this in a Subway.  This guy is typical of ethnic dress down here.  Cheeks hanging out of pants seems to be fashion de rigueur.  I don't know what they are trying to say, or why it seems to be strictly a socio-economic marker, but can we please move onto another fad?  I suppose it could be worse, like no underwear.


This style of dress is by means unusual.  In fact the top of the pants are under the cheeks and the wearer has to reach down and clasp the front of the jeans to keep them up, or rather up a ways.  I have no idea what the statement is, but as I have mentioned, this was originally a signal to other inmates in prison that you were available for the prison nasty. 


 Norah Grace, doing her best Winston Churchill.  Or Churchill doing his best Norah?


Seeing eyeball-to-eyeball with this guy.  This gaggle was at Bishop Animal Center where we saw, met and almost adopted Happy.  Happy, mentioned last week, was my bestest friend I couldn't quite requite due to Shawshank's weight restrictions.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant