Skip to main content

This And That In God's Country

Last day home and had some pictures of various things to throw in today. So, here goes:



Pat had some holiday flavored milk on hand so I had a sip and fell in love.  I'm not talking just , "oh, thanks, that's nice, Pat" kind of love.  I'm talking head-over-heels love that will require the services of a refrigerated truck to drive from the Midwest to wherever I am forever during the holidays to supply me with endless gallons of this stuff.  It is by far better than sex, winning the lotto, and or the warm kisses of a puppy.  Those of you lucky enough to have access, be sure to watch out for Prairie Farms Pumpkin Spice Milk.  I looked all over for it down here but Florida was found wanting.


I did check out my Chambers Street friends and discovered this guy hanging from Marty's porch.  Now those of you who know Marty will understand that she follows a different voice than most of us.  Unique,  a weaver of tales,  a neighborhood landmark, Marty is an unmistakable individual.  Anyway I stopped to let her hold court and she had this hanging which in the dark was difficult to tell what it was.  When i did get a look it damn near scared me out of my shoes.  But that's Marty.

I also had the opportunity to see Dave and Lisa and they are cool people who just happened to be our neighbors for 20 years.  Dave is a brother biker and Lisa is an artist decorator when they aren't at their jobs.  I knew I was home when I sat and talked to them for a while.  

Also went down and talked to the Harrison's.  If there is such a thing as a true blue family it has to be them.  Nicest people EVER and warm, fuzzies whenever I see them.  Friendliest people - I could spend a month with 'em and feel great every day. I swear, all I have to do is knock and they plop you on a couch and make you feel like a million dollars.  Either that or one of the kids will call the cops on you.   

Tried to locate Matt Warnsing and Gay Johnson.  Lost their numbers in a recent phone switch and couldn't find their houses.  Hey Matt and Gay, email me.

   

This is the old "boxcar" I lived in for a few years up on Bateman Street before getting hitched.  People said it was an old boxcar but I didn't believe them until I had some work done and tore down some drywall and saw the CB & Q logo on a wooden siding.  For those I worked with me remember the names of the help I had for that work on Bob Mason's recommendation?  Remember?  One just wanted paid in liquor.  Answer:  Paddlefoot and Tuscon.





Remember Keith Nyman saying I should swing by and see his house up on Harrison Street last night at the Blick christmas party?  Well I did.  



Uh Keith.  Very nice.  Not the least bit understated.  And no one could accuse it of being tasteful.  And since it only requires that every available square inch is used to have something lit you have accomplished that masterfully.  Some might say it is a bit over done but not me.  You haven't even tapped the rich, empty areas on your roof. I, your neighbors and Ameren anxiously await next year's creation.



On the morning of my sad departure from home to back to Florida, Pat and I decided to cruise around and see some old friends.  We went out to Sutor Woods in Lord-knows-where BFE to see Jeff and Carol and take them some wine for the holidays.  Jeff did a great deal of work for me and his only payment is wine.  He has a blog now and it is my pleasure to give the address again, as he is a terrifically insightful writer.  Read it, I guarantee it will give you a chuckle or downright belly laugh, or make you think.  Perhaps even bring a tear to your eye.  Worked with him at the Mary Davis Home for years and proud to know him and Carol, and happier still to count them as friends.   http://bodinedilligaf.blogspot.com/

My old boss at the Mary Davis Home, Randy Storm, had this old beater of a car back when we were working there.  It has a storied history and is still running I think.  They weren't home when we visited, but the car was there and I'm not sure of the miles, maybe over 300,000 but I'll have to confirm that.  It has been sold and rebought by Randy at least twice and perhaps three times and they seem, at this point inseparable.  It's  almost like a spooky Stephen king novel.   


Nice duct tape job on the sunroof.



No old beater would be complete without a bungee cord helping to keep everything together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant