Skip to main content

Home Doggy Dog Week - OVCC And Herb's Tribute

My father was a long time member of the Oak View Cpountry Club in Aledo. Marj, my mother also used to play the organ at the bar when it was a tiki motif. She'd go up on Frid ay and Saturdays to play the current hits. Herb played golf whenever he could and we three boys played also. One of the the things
I wanted to do on my trip back home was to take pictures of a memorial bench dedicated to his memory after he died in 1997. So, Mark and I hopped on his cart and went out to the 7th tee-off area. Of course it was cold and wet.


Heading from the Clubhouse down through the 7th green.


This was one of my favorite holes: short, with a couple creeks to avoid, not to mention some of that sandy stuff.


The bench dedicated to Herb's memory.  Thanks to the OVCC for a very fine tribute to a great friend to many. 


This was the area that Herb had his heart attack.  He had just shanked a shot and went down.  He died a week later.   


The 7th hole tee off.  From here you can see the 6th hole in the center on the far hill.  OVCC' s longest hole and toughest.  I hated this one, and seldom did well.  The 6th hole goes from fence to fence and takes a week to complete.


7th tee off and green.  One of the ideas I had once was to do a coffee table for OVCC with shots of each hole, then intersperse it with stories from the old-timers, complete with pics and biographies.  Alas, never did, but it surely would be a losing proposition.  


6th hole green.


New hole pin flags that celebrate the 95th Anniversary of the Oak View Country Club.


A non-paying interloper.


Teed off from the 7th hole tee off and made it to the edge of the green.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant