Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


This is dipping into the archives so far my memory is fuzzy, but here goes.  Mike and Pat Johnson, co-workers and forever friends, were members at Lake Littlejohn near Oak Run.  When I was but a pup working at the Mary Davis Home Becky and I were invited to have a cookout. It must have been a Sunday community All-Member affair as the above picture illustrates the guys busy cooking.  Mike is the fellow 4th from left, with his back to us.  This was back when we would go golfing with Randy and John Pogue or some other 4th and we'd head out to Oak Run.  We would hit the ball around and drink some beer.  Once when returning to G-Burg Randy's muffler fell off on a curve and went toward a farm house, prompting Mike to yell, like the good Navy man he was, "Torpedo One!"  Decency and civility prevent me from commenting on what he yelled to a lady working her garden on one of our trips back.  Oh my.  


Pat and Becky simultaneously mugging and avoiding the camera.  Neat trick.  Pat was Mike's wife and worked for the Probation department.  Becky was a Counselor and became assistant Superintendent.  Both are charter members of the MDH Retiree Breakfast Club.  All 4 who took early retirement from the county will be meeting for breakfast next week someplace in Galesburg.  Rumor has it that Randy will be joining us and regaling us with his stories.      
Pat, of course, is now working whenever she can at Bridgeway and volunteers for the Red Cross every other weekend.   Think she is the only one who reads this so, hi Pat.  Guest bedroom booked next week?



I don't have a clue as to what was going on here, but my good buddy and one of my favorite work mates, Rose Medina, got me good.  That's not my place, perhaps Rose's and maybe a birthday bash. I really don't know.  Perhaps we can get Rose to explain this.  Anyway, Rose or Rosita as I called her,  worked the Mary for many years and then moved over to the Probation side up at the courthouse.  I miss working with her - she was a lot of fun to be around and a damn good worker.  She was fun because I never ever saw her in a bad mood, and I know with some stuff she had to have been.  She was also what is called a "good feeler".  She made you feel good being around her and she was easy to get laughing and tickled.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant