Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - Honeymoon

No dull Hawaii for my honeymoon. Wouldn't subject the rigors of a long plane flight and that pesky tropical heat on the current Mrs. Blythe. I knew from the start her heart was in the Midwest so I took her on a train trip to Chicago to see the Mets play the Cubs. How is that for romance?

Amtrak provided our transport to the big city of Chicago. Once there we stayed at the Marriott which in its day was pretty damn ritzy. Being s hick in the city was a bit overpowering for me, but I muddled as best i could. I recall tipping some bellhop extravagantly when he gave me the time. Geez, what a rube.



Ever the dork.  In our hotel room at the Marriott.  We had some kind of special gold key or some such thing that was quite new to me.   


Posing in front of the Art Museum.  


Our view from the hotel room.


Nice room and accommodations for the trip.  This was back when travel agents made the arrangements.  I guess they still exist but I think people make their own itinerary these days.
   

We saw 2 games and we lost both of them, but I got to see Hall of Famer Tom Seaver pitch.  Apparently Mike Johnson made a call up to WGN radio and Announcer Harry Carey mentioned us at the game, then he lamented why anyone would want to watch a ball game on their honeymoon.


The manager of the Mets was Frank Howard.




The current Mrs. Blythe at Buckingham fountain.



We also went to a play to see James Earl Jones in Master Harold and the Boys.  This is where James Earl drops his pants and moons the audience as part of the scene.  It was a trip where I got to see 2 butts.  Not bad for a small town kid.  
We went to the Sears tower, of course, and that was pretty decent, and the Museum of Science and Industry.  We ate well and then returned to the less hectic and nerve-wracking environs of Galesburg. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant