Skip to main content

USS American Victory - Part 1

Poking out from the Aquarium I spied what looked to be a gray ship.  Then I remembered reading something about it quite a while ago.  After walking the Aquarium, which was quite nice, I asked my entourage if they would wait while I walked behind the building to investigate that ship.  They all wanted to see, too, so like the troopers that are, off we walk to see something really neat.

And then it came in full view.  The USS American Victory, one of only 4 fully operational World War II ships in the US.  
It was a military cargo ship and was built toward the end of the war.  It was a self-guided tour, and not many people at all, so it was like we had the complete run of the place.  A couple of areas were roped off, the engine room being one of them, but for the most part it was open and accessable.


What caught my eye from the Tampa Aquarium.  I come from a long line of seamen so naturally this piqued my interest.


Approaching the USS American Vistory and ahead of her was the Carnival line Legend preparing to set sail.


View of the aft.  Or is that the stern?  Poop deck?


This ship takes 2 annual crosses each year.  For $99.00 you can go with her on a cruise, and I guess they have fly-overs and things.  I'd sure like to do that.



Inside the ship which also serves as a maritime Museum was this propeller from the German U-Boat 352, sunk off the coast of North Carolina by the Coast Guard Cutter Icarus on May 9, 1942.  


Looking down into the hold area.


Below those beams is the hold or cargo compartments.


A lifeboat on display.


Apparently a popular drawing during WWII.


On deck, looking toward the rear, with lots of rope neatly arranged.


View from ship.



Faded banners on the bridge. 


Winches are still operational.


Forward gun.  That's the Legend on the left.  


Big honking anchor.


Crew's quarters.


More sleeping areas.


Spartan conditions.


This was a dumbwaiter in the kitchen designed to bring meals to all decks.


Kensie looking at a shower area.


More sleeping berths.


Looking down into the engine room.


This area going down to the engine area was roped off.  


There is one of the engines.


Kitchen, or galley.  See I told you I came from seaman lineage.  I can even speak the language.

TOMORROW WE WILL CONTINUE AND CONCLUDE THE TOUR OF THE USS AMERICAN VICTORY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant