Skip to main content

The Great Bike Trip of 2013

I hear tell there may be a bike ride up North in the Spring/Summer.  Preparation is everything.  Again, now everyone, repeat after me:  preparation is everything.  In preparing for this ride many facets must be dealt with in order to succeed.  There are clothing issues, route determination, places to avoid, and physical training to endure a long trip.

In 2004 I took 4 trips in the summer, two of which were major distances, for a total of approximately 7,000 miles in the saddle.  It was a summer for the ages.  Hopefully I will be able to learn from those trips to properly steel myself for the Great Bike Trip of 2013.

First order of business is to check out the equipment.  I'll make sure the Yammie is ready to go by taking it to the shop shortly before take-off.  I'll work on my butt callouses and perhaps stock up on Monkey Butt to insure maximum comfort.  There will be no need for a tent this time, as I learned that there is not enough savings to justify roughing it.   I slept one night in a KOA in Deadwood that almost broke me from using a tent, and then Price, Utah a couple of nights later that utterly and irrevocably broke me of such romantic trysts with Mother Nature.  Deadwood frosted and I froze, and in Price all they had was gravelled sleeping areas.  Now I have learned to look for the Ma and Pa motels in small to medium sized towns.

After riding with Jeff's full face helmet back in August and not wanting to deprive this world of my beauty, I have decided to replace my old helmet with something new for the trip.


This is my old half-face AXF FX4 that just celebrated its 10th anniversary this year.  I have been a one-helmet guy so she looks her age with many bumps and bruises over the years.  This is what I used for the 7000 miles in 2004 so I will certainly miss her. 




The black duct tape is something I devised somewhere heading into the sun to shield the glare.  Because the shield is adjustable this becomes a very effective sun visor when heading into the sun either in early morning or late evening.   I do remember stopping somewhere between Rapid City, SD and Albert Lea, Minnesota to get some tape to use, and a nice lady let me borrow some for free.  Not sure if that was the first time, but it's possible.  


The VROC-11999 is my Kawasaki Vulcan Riders Owners Club membership number.  Although I now have a Yamaha I continue to be a member of VROC.  




Tag that says this helmet was made in 2002 and has been a good and faithful companion on thousands of miles of road.

New helmets now have a sun visor built into the helmet that you can flip down which serves the purpose of my duct tape.  I am certain I want a flip-up or modular helmet to replace the old FX4.  A flip-up doesn't offer the protection of a full-face but it would certainly be an upgrade over what I have now.

The advancements since 2002 are remarkable.  You can get a helmet that actually has an optics devise that allows you to see behind you without looking in one of your mirrors (Reevu).  There is also a company that includes an LED light for added safety.  almost all of them have the built-in sun visor I mentioned earlier.  Almost all have Bluetooth capabilities, whatever that is.




The Reevu has a mirror system inside the helmet that allows you to see what is behind you.  I'd love to see what these are all about, but at a cost of $450 it is out of my cost range.  If I was young and prettier than I already am, then I would pay top dollar just to keep my swarthy good looks protected.  However, my beauty is fading, so there isn't as much need to pay a super exorbitant price for this mug.




Gmax helmets have a LED light. In this crazy place where people fly on the interstates and side roads with wild abandon (and wanton stupidity) I think some lighting for night riding would be a plus.


Helmets can cost anywhere between $80 clear up to $700.  Things that are important either as a safety factor or personal taste I'll be looking for the following as essential for my next one:

1. Internal sun visor
2. Metal chin latch
3. Double "D" chin lock
4. Above average sight lines
5. Lightweight
6. Modular, but I may be wavering on this one.

My first choice might be a Lazer Monaco which is hard to fond in the US.  It is highly safe, best sight lines, constructed well and has been the best reviewed helmet by webBikeWorld.     

Unfortunately the Lazer is probably out of my budget and you just can't find them.  Nolans get good reviews, as do Bell and many others.  There is no screaming hurry.  Fit is important as well and if it doesn't fit it'll just sit in the garage.  Until I find the right one, my trusty old lid will do just fine.  Some old things just don't want to be put out to pasture.  

More details of the Great Bike Trip of 2013 in coming weeks.  Keep August of 2014 open too, cause I hear tell there may be a trip to South Dakota.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant