Skip to main content

About Town

I have taught Mackenzie that the Blog is always hungry.  She takes a rather hefty drive across town to work and she has taken some of the following photos.  Credit is given where necessary.  It's kind of like having a cub reporter working for you.



Picture by Kenze.

For those of you up north, Amscot is a money store.  It is kind of a last chance to get some funds, kind of a shyster loan shop without the shyster.  Oh yes, you can borrow from your next paycheck, but we'll take about 18-20% of it off the top.  Anyway, it is a place you don't want to go if you can avoid it.  It is a bad day if you must.  And then to have car problems there is just the worst kind of luck.



Picture by Kenze.

Hard to see clearly but this guy was driving with his left foot casually out the window.  I'm sure there is a law against it, somewhere.




This guy standing in front of us at Sam's Club, yeah, I know.  He clearly has not found the best haircut for his thinning scalp.  Looks like the deforestation in the Amazon. 





Now, this one is tricky.  I (we) couldn't get a very good picture of this elderly fellow at Sam's, but his was the most interesting haircut of anyone I have ever seen.  I wish I would have been bolder with my picture taking, but sometimes, you just can't get in there very well without being terribly obvious.  Below is a drawing of his hair.


He was, essentially bald.  But instead of the usual full comb over from one side or the other, he did it from both sides, meeting in the middle. One of the damnedest things I've ever seen. 


The plying of freighters under the Skyway is endlessly fascinating to me.  Where is it going?  How many crew?  What are they hauling?  What's the movie tonight?




Saw this guy climbing the outside wall the other day.  When I checked back shortly after, he was gone.




Florida, a state so screwed up they have other state motels.




Wilson's Lounge.  Never been in, but drive by it all the time.  This is the place they used as the exterior on the movie Magic Mike.  Check it out, it was just released on DVD. 




Florida also has the most... uhm...unique cloud formations.  




Picture by Kenze.  

Wow, what a price!



My new red Vibrams.  I now have 2 pair of Vibram's and 2 pair of Fila knock-offs.  Finally, no socks needed.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant