Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  Sometimes things happen in the city that you are unprepared for and can't document by pictures or recording.  Same weekend:  1)  a lady was walking in the road and we had to creep behind her to park.  She never hurries, never looked back, just went up to a pickup that was parked, tapped on the window, the guy lowered it, and then handed her a dollar bill.  I'll never forget the article on panhandling that said these people make $35,000 to $70,000 a year depending on their "spiel".   Next, we were driving home on 34th, which is one of the main roads down here and a nice car was next to us.  At the stop signal, everybody slowed and they moved just ahead of us in the other lane.  A lady opened the door, gave out 5 or 6 six terrified screams and then closed the door.  At the green they went on, with nothing else.  One can speculate, but we might all be wrong on that one.

2.  It's not everyday you walk into a store and start chatting with a Jordanian.  Happened to me a few weeks ago.  He was one of the managers and was admiring my Vibrams.  Nuggets I got out of the conversation: a. he lives here for the work but his wife and kids don't want to live over here.  So he sends them his paycheck and visits them once a year. b.  The Jordanian Secret police is one of the best and ferret any terrorist activity before it gets too far along.  c.  King Abdullah has no worries from the Arab Spring.  There may be smattering protests, but most everyone is fairly content with the way things are there.


3.



It took a while but a certain Super Bowl bet took a long time to get redeemed.   


4.  



Norah just learned that love is bittersweet.

5.  Chef Drew-Boy-R-Dee has fixed salmon and ribs on the grill the past few weeks and I am envious his grille abilities.  Only one other person I know has full command of said device, but he's up North and at the moment, unable to feed me.

6.  I don't know about people up North, but we are still getting blasted with political commercials.  These are from AARP, and a banking PAC regarding the upcoming fiscal cliff.

7.  I'm in such good health I was able to shave $35.00 off my monthly life insurance premium with a different company.  Of course they are saying I will outlive the term, thus paying into and never getting anything back.  I don't know if I should be happy or not.



8.


Most DMV's are holes to waste your time and money.  You wait and wait, and wait.  But in Brandon this was the scene in mid-morning.  ALL chairs were empty and everyone was being waited on.  Now picture Wal-Mart.





It was amazing.  I don't know if they are all like this down here, but certainly this one was sure clicking on all cylinders and truly supplying customer service.  Besides, its kind of neat how they do it.  You get a number and wait for the automated board to tell you which window to go to.   I may be easily impressed, but when you enter any government facility and sit for 3 seconds then proceed to get waited on, man, that's service.

9.  Flucktardia is a concealed gun state.  How many other states are concealed these days?  A total of 49.  Illinois remains illegal from what I can decipher.  So, nowadays you can be sure people aren't happy to see you, they're concealing.

10.  When my daycare is in session I am pretty well strapped to a room for containment purposes.  I had the misfortune of viewing Legend of the Fall again, after having seen it years ago.  My opinion is the same:  it may be the worst big movie I have ever seen.

Where do I start?  First off let's do a synopsis of the thing:   Rich rancher has three sons, one of which dies in World War II.  Other sons return home, get horny over the same girl, but prodigal son Brad Pitt wins her hand.  Loser son becomes a congressman.  Winning son ropes calf one day and reminds him of his dead brother so he goes to sea abandoning the prettiest girl this side of the St. Louis Arch and his newborn son, becomes captain of a ship,  sells ivory and dispenses wise Indian sayings to fawning Pacific islanders.   After several years Prodigal son returns enveloped in a stampede of horses, both horse and Brad Pitt manes flowing amid soaring music.  Unfortunately, the rancher father has had a stroke and apparently none of his ranch hands or lady servants are able to cut or comb his hair.  He now squints his right eye like Popeye like all stroke victims, grunts like a bear in heat, and is probably pissed because those lazy ass ranch hands won't put the screen door back or sweep the porch.  (No kidding, I'm not making this up)  Meanwhile, the Congressman has got into cahoots with a bootleg liquor gang while Brad Pitt once again gets horny and marries one of the ranch hands daughter who is young enough to be his own daughter, but no one minds because Brad Pitt never ages.

I then switched over to watch the Andy Griffith Show, but turned back long enough to see the finale,  in which the father and sons engage in a massacre of local lawmen, they hug, and just before end credits, the wise old Indian who somehow saw all this narrates some more Indian sayings to the fawning audience.  The End.

The premise, construction and inane (hey, where have I heard that word) dialog is amazingly bad.  The number of silent pauses as characters stare at each other for dramatic effect is astounding.  The cinematography is excellent, but everything about this sleazy poorly contrived mess is laughable.  Go rent it, its a hoot.  If it had been marketed as a spoof of westerns it would have been a must-see alongside Blazing Saddles.

11.  At one time Florida/Flucktardia was second only to Texas in cattle raising.  And the term "Cracker" came from horsemen snapping bull whips to move the cattle.



12.


   Until you get the utensil thingie down, this works as well as anything.  I fully subscribe to whatever works, in all areas.  Way to problem-solve, Miss Norah.

13.  


I don't know the company name but they built this lizard/gecko metal sculpture on the roof of their facility.  It is right alongside the Interstate and I still get a kick out of it. 

14.  Dylan Thomas wrote, "...you can't go home again."  Hmmmm.  I wonder.

15.  I have become an avid, enthusiastic and devoted wearer of Fila and Vibram's sock- less shoes.  I saw this on Facebook.  


I don't care how I look.  I'm comfy in these.
  

16.  18th driest month in recorded history here in November.  That damn endless blue sky is killing me.

17.  Tomorrow is 12-12-12.  It is the last repetitive date we will ever see.

18.  I erroneously said Organdy was a flower, when commenting on the Halloween on Organdy Drive post last week.  Holly, a lady and sister-in-law with whom I have great respect and is one of the funniest persons EVER, and can tell a great story, informed me that organdy is a type of fabric.  It has gone the way of wing-tip shoes, she says, but at one time was quite nice and fashionable.  Thanks Holly for the information.   Oh and comments are always welcome for posts.  Holly said she didn't know how to comment.  Very simple, click on comment line at the bottom of each post.        

19.




This is a clock that I saw at Sam's Club recently.  This is a great opportunity to discuss "taste".  Now, I should reserve my comments since it is possible some of you may be giddily wrapping up this item to give to Aunt Sadie.  Personally at a price tag of $100.00, Aunt Sadie may be more appreciative of a little cash to pay for those meds, especially if we go over the fiscal cliff.  It is a Seiko product made in China.  And just where would Aunt Sadie put this monstrosity...ooops, uh, fine timepiece anyway?  Taste is a funny thing.   Some people have it, and some people don't.  But you can readily determine who doesn't if they have this hanging on their living room wall.





20. And finally, while at the Mall on Saturday, and always looking for a place to sit while the shoppers shop, I sat across from this guy, who was truly o-u-t.  And I mean asleep.  Power shopping sapped his strength.  His bag of goodies was out and anyone could have taken it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant