Skip to main content

Straub Park Christmas

The Christmas tree we put up in our homes, apartments or whatever you have represents the center of your Christmas universe.  It is the place that holds the most beauty.  Our trees represent what we give to others, as a piece of ourselves, our love and devotion. Holly, my sister-in-law sent us a picture of their tree and I thought it would be nice to share them everyone.  So, please, send me a picture of your tree and I will post it on Existing In BFE sometime this next week.  

Send them to either two.mikes@hotmail.com. or bfereporter@yahoo.com



And now, instead of Cub Reporter Monday, let's visit Straub Park in St. Petersburg.

It was a somewhat boring Saturday night so I hopped on the bike and went South to check out the decked out holiday boats docked at Maximo Marina. It was a wasted trip, however, since only one was lit and they must have been having a boat parade somewhere because I saw one leaving the marina. But not easily discouraged I set about and decided to go downtown to the public marina. Again, nothing much too spectacular but Straub Park was full of people and all lit up, so I parked and strolled over to check it out.



This is all I got down at Maximo, but this simple decor caught my eye.  I like this a lot.  Not too flashy, not hard to do and it makes a statement of sorts.


I decided to ride on downtown to see if any at the public marina had any interesting lights.  I then ran into Straub park which is very close to the Vinoy and right across from the marina and right down from the Pier.  The centerpiece of Straub Park is the nicely lit and rather large Christmas Tree.  What I found was a throng of nighttime revelers, having a fun stroll through the park to see the lights and to just be outside.  A beautiful evening, warmish but not hot.  



This is the dripping light ornaments you may have seen from last year's Christmas blog.  It's back and impressive.  There is a movie of it at the below.  


Cool walkway to see Santa.  


Santa and his bored elf.  Be sure to catch the movie below.  Old Santa is dead tired and keeping track of the time.  Poor old guy. 


It'll soon be over Santa.  You look like you could use a rest. 



This is a display at the Pier.  


After I saw the park decorations I called Brendan and asked if he wanted to meet me at Three Birds.  He and Lee came on over (they are within walking distance), and we had a nice time with a few beers and conversation in between the too loud band.  


This Santa at Three Birds looked like he had had a beer too many. 


Watch tired Santa here check the time.  Long night for this guy.  He's got another long one coming up.




I have mixed feelings about street entertainers/beggars.  They are talented, fun and no doubt bring something of the art world into our lives.  My problem is that everyone has their hand out around here.  You can't stop at any business without some guy asking for change.  You get to know who they are by how they are leaning against a building and how friendly they are to you going IN, so they can soften you up when you come OUT.  That's the nature of the beast in the city, I guess.



It was one of those really neat and fun spontaneous things that happen to come together with a phone call.  I turned this lemon of a night into something memorable.  Have a great Christmas everybody and I wish you all a good night.  Oh, and don't forget to send me a picture of your tree.  I will be taking attendance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant