Skip to main content

Up

A short post today.  But its not all about length now, is it?  It's what you do with what you have that counts.  And today is pretty darn neat.  Who hasn't seen this on TV, but I saw this sucker fly right over my head.   



 

There are a lot of sounds in the skies down here.  McDill Air Force Base over in Tampa, as well as St. Pete-Clearwater airport, and Tampa International.  There is a small airport by the Bay called Alfred Whitted that caters to the smaller planes, news helicopters, and those learning to fly.  I was sitting at the computer the other day working on the blog  when I heard a stranger than usual sound from above.  Glanced out the window and lo and behold, flying smack-dab right over Shawshank was the Met Life Snoopy Blimp, and a ready-made blog entry.   Further investigation on the web told me it was flying down to Miami for the Dolphin-Buffalo Bills game on December 23rd.  Note the propellers around .34 seconds into it and the very small US flag at the rear.  Also note my heavy breathing at the end either due to running to get outside or my excitement.  I vote for excitement.

I pulled back down for a pool shot just to give you some perspective.

Oh the humanity!


BONUS POST -  Thought you might be thirsty for more so I offer this in addition to the Snoopy Blimp.

Just this past Sunday went to the Vinoy again, and like all trips to my favorite park you see something new and different every time.  Today it was the USCGC Resolute not terribly far from shore either doing routine training exercises or something super secret that never made the papers.  It circled an area and then went back and forth for probably an hour or so, then just like that it was gone.   









  
I once denigrated the Coast Guard because I stupidly believed that since they were non-combat oriented they were somehow a rung below the other branches.  I was called on it, and rightly so.  It was a stupid comment and I now publicly apologize.      

Look up the Resolute and you will discover a ship with many commendations and service citations for numerous rescue operations to smuggling operations in the Caribbean.  Glad she and the United States Coast Guard serves to protect us here at home.  By the way her Motto is:  Fama Extendere Factis.  Fame Through Good Deeds. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant