Skip to main content

Various Pics and Things





I still don't get the dress-on-a-dog thing.  This one has a pretty pink ribbon.  Quite often you see the chihuahua breed wear dresses.  I have only been around one or two that I remember and they seem nervous and skittish.  In fact one lunged at Tim's arm once in BFE.  Christopher, another buddy from BFE also swears by them.  And Christopher is a logical normal person.  They seem quite disagreeable, and then to put a dress on one, well, I just don't get it.  Nope, just don't get it.



I liked this juxtaposition of an old downtown landmark and a new one.  I also like the opportunity to use a word one just doesn't use very often, but its a good one.  Most words with "x" in them are good.  Sex comes to mind, which is good, but "tax" isn't.   Twixt is fun, but if you used it in normal conversations, people would talk.



Another downtown shot, an apartment with a neat little balcony.   This overlooks Central Avenue, a neat little street with bistro type restaurants and outdoor tables.  At night when things are going strong this would be a wonderful place to watch the action.  Since I retire at 10:00 I would likely miss most of it. 



Alright smokers.  I get that you guys are a minority now and that most of the taxes collected are from you guys and alcoholics, but, geez, can't you dispose of them properly?  This was a poor pretty tree that lines Central Avenue in St. Pete.  Most smokers are wondering what happened to the 60's, 70's, and 80's when everyone smoked and you felt a communal bond with others.  Now all you get is reproachful stares and looks of disdain.  But don't take it out on the tree.



Down here if you get termites, they drape the whole house in a tarp and you get to stay in a motel for a night.  Down here, the little bastards never freeze or stop eating.  This was a unit here at Shawshank.  Some of the blue-haired Canadians must have been aghast at the thought of termites here.  Why, however did they get in?  We're gated!



Saw this ring around the moon last week down here and it usually symbolizes poor weather.  No such luck.  Same damn blue sky as always.  Hot summer, and this was a mild winter.  I guess winter up North has been mild, too.  What happened to the grand snows we had in Illinois when I was 5 or 6?  I can recall majestic tunnel systems like the Vietcong in some snowdrifts.  Was it we were just smaller, so everything just seemed bigger?    


Without a doubt, the coolest neon sign ever?  I've seen pictures of some good ones along Route 66, but this one, adorning the Thunderbird Beach Resort on Gulf Boulevard is awesome.  That bird is even on the tiles of their swimming pool.  



Again, on Gulf Boulevard a very well done stretch of road with lighted palm trees. 



Avast, ye lubber!  Spotted this pirate ship in Clearwater a couple weeks ago.  Actually this is Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise.  Busty wenches take your beer and liquor orders while lusty pirates do what lusty pirates do, I guess.  Reggae music and a full bar while you sail around.  I'll leave it for the frat boys, I pass. 



Hogfish for sale at the grocery store.  OK, never heard of a hogfish, and what the heck are those?  Tentacles?  Teeth?   Looked it up on Wikipedia and they said its just a regular bottom eating guy who roots around like a pig for crustaceans.  Imagine scuba diving ans seeing a school swimming toward you.  Uh, huh, the bends.



A kid from inland Seaton Illinois never tires of seeing freighters heading out to sea.  In fact, I just might sign up for work on one of these someday.  Aaargh!  




What I would call a tramp steamer.  This is the White Holly, out of San Francisco, and is available for your research project, so says its home page.  It was in the marina the Lynx was docked at - which is a pretty cool Tall Ship that I toured.  I'll post that adventure in a a couple weeks.  



In an otherwise clean city, this sight was a little disturbing.  Taken just off the Harborage Marina where the Lynx was staying for a few days.  You walk around the nature preserves, to and parks and it seems too bad we can't hold onto our trash long enough to put it in a receptacle.  Its been 40 years since Iron Eyes Cody tearfully asked Americans in his Indian garb to keep his land clean.  Not sure we are making as much progress as we should be.  TRIVIA:  Did you know Iron Eyes Cody was actually Italian?  



Italian??  I'm getting the vapors!



Old walkway that has been overtaken by trees and bushes.  A walkway to no where.  Yeah, been on that trip a couple of times. 



I'm not sure what this all means.  But I found it somewhat interesting.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant