Skip to main content

1812 Privateer Lynx - Part 1


-Is that the Lynx?

-No, sir. That's the flagship of the fleet. Over there's your little pint-pot. 

-That's the Lynx! She isn't very big, is she? 

- It ain't the size that counts, youngster. It's the salt in the lads that man it.



I happened to have had the day off one Thursday in February and checked the Tampa Bay Times to see what was going on in hour little Burg.  I then noticed a pretty cool entry that said something like, "Lynx Enters Bay With Canons Ablaze".  That certainly caught my eye, and reading on I saw that a Tall Ship, the Privateer Lynx had entered our waters and was at a marina not far from my beloved Demen's Landing, second best place to revive one's batteries and reflect on life.

The article went on to state that this Baltimore Clipper schooner was going to participate in the Gasparilla Festival the following Saturday and while here she could be toured and, if lucky, you could be on what they call a "sail away" which is a 2 hour sail into the Bay.  It took me about 23 seconds to throw on my shoes and hop on the bike for a trip over to Harborage Marina to check this baby out.

True Confession Time:  I read every night at bedtime.  I like courtroom dramas (Defending Jacob), some sci-fi (The Passage/The Twelve),  dog stories (The Art of Racing In the Rain), and maritime novels.  I have some biographies in there and meaningful histories, but I seem to be in a novel rut lately.  Anyway, for some odd reason I enjoy the sailing novels of O'Brien, Hammond, and Russell.  The whole Fletcher Christian, Captain Bligh, press gangs, overwrought heroics as well as the microcosm of life on ship appeals to me.  After you stop laughing, you may proceed to the next paragraph.


I was not disappointed when I arrived and quickly handed over $6 dollars to board her and walk around.   The crew members wear authentic period dress and are quite friendly and willing to answer questions.   The Lynx, of course is a replica, as are most Tall Ships.  Most sailing ships, like horses, I suppose simply vanished through old age,  storms and obsolescence.    



Her owners and builders stressed authenticity with the Lynx which, except for Coast Guard safety regulations, was achieved as closely as possible.  These Clipper schooners had a most handsome raked masts, which were at a 15 degree slant.  




The 2 above pictures are not mine.  I found these of the Lynx on her website which I recommend highly if you are interested.  I think they are beautiful pictures of her at sea. 



The Lynx's flag was the US flag during the War of 1812.  The original ship was captured by the British in 1813.  Privateers were private-owner ships leased to the US Navy since the navy at that time was ill-equipped to handle such duties of war.


Crew members wore authentic clothes of the period which would have been worn on such ships during the war.  The Lynx's home port is Portsmouth New Hampshire, and her winter home is Fort Myers, Florida.


The wheel and wheel house which contained the rudder system for maneuvering the ship.    


Compass and chart table.


You can find these floating compasses in antique shops and Ebay.  They aren't cheap (explains why I don't have one) but a smaller one would make a great corner table object 'd art.  Did I spell that correctly? 




This was an opening for storage items which we weren't allowed to investigate.  I wasn't really interested in the innards anyway.  Especially when that kid with her grampa who was coughing non-stop over everyone on deck and in the crew's quarters.  This winter was not the place to flaunt one's health with the vicious flu that was so widespread.  As of this writing I have escaped it so obviously I'll get Legionairre's or Avian flu.   



Crew's quarters is down this hatch. 




The Lynx is equipped with 4 functioning six-pounder canons and four swivel guns.  
  


The Staterooms.



Berths for the crew members doesn't allow for much wriggle or stretching room.


A crew member going through s storage area.  Notice the period dress.


Coming back on deck from the Stateroom quarters.  There was also an area, the Great Rooms, which was off limits to tourists.  



I'd wager not too many ships in 1812 had women crew members.  In fact superstition had it that it was bad luck to have women on board a warship.  



A sight right out of the past.



A Thirtyacre five gallon bucket of balls.



If the Baltimore Clippers had any weakness it was their lack of firepower if the seas became becalmed.  Now there is a sentence one can dissect.


This is grapeshot which was like a shotgun blast rather than a single ball when shot.  They would have used this type of armament when an enemy ship got close.  They would then rake the deck with grapeshot in hopes of decimating the crew and snipers.


The bow of the Lynx.


One of the anchors of the Lynx.


Very popular afternoon attraction at the marina.


The ship's bell.  Apparently every ship has one.


Imagine having to go aloft to trim sails in 50 mph winds being tossed around on the sea. I don't know if there is enough pucker left in me to try that.


The Age of Sail.



Looks a lot like my shoelaces sometimes.  




The decks are fashioned from Douglas fir, while the rest of the ship is made from Angelique and Southern pine. 








YouTube films of the Lynx entering St. Petersburg.


So I left having witnessed something pretty unique.  And then I imagined a marina where all the ships and boats had masts and sails.  With horse-drawn wagons bringing cargo and taking it away.  Only a hundred years ago it would have looked a lot like that.  Yes, it was a pretty neat experience.  But wait! There's More....tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant