Skip to main content

1812 Privateer Lynx - Part 2

I went home that afternoon having toured the Lynx and was so excited and hyped about it I just had to return.  These are my pics the second time around.  By now the sun is going down and the crowd has dwindled.  And that flu carrier has left.  


You can tell you are in the right place because the slanted masts are so unique amongst the perpendicular ones. 


That and the bowsprit or spar.   


Simply beautiful.


It was close to 6:00 pm, when it closed for tours so not as many people.  And the setting of the sun (the Golden Hour) on the masts was pretty spectacular.



I'd like to have one of thee babies then I could sail her to Keithsburg and get a couple $1 Bloody Mary's at Tweety's.



When I've been at Demen's landing I have seen sailing classes for kids.  All of these tiny boats with a sail all tied together getting towed out into the Bay by a bigger boat.  There  the teacher sits and gives instructions to the kids in their individual boats.  


Flying high above was the flag that read, "Don't Give Up the Ship"



Also flying were the state flags of New Hampshire (home port),  Florida (winter home). Tall Ship Organization, the Lynx flag,  a red, white and blue ensign, and the Stars and Stripes used in 1812, with 13 stars. 



An informational banner plastered on the side for educating the land-lubbers.


One of the working swivel guns made by a firm in England which had made them for centuries. 


The next few pictures I will remain silent and let you tour and gawk at your leisure.







While I was there an Osprey landed on one of the yardarms to see what all the excitement was.


















She flies the stars and stripes used by the US during the War of 1812.


This ship also has a motto, which is simple but pretty all-encompassing.









There you have it.  The Lynx left 4 days later after having invaded Tampa and defeating the defenders of the city in the annual Gasparilla Festival, thus receiving the keys to the city.  Why anyone would want it is beyond me.  

My first tall ship, possibly last.  A very exciting and noteworthy experience.  Loved the history, the beauty of the ship and the romanticism of the sea.   

ADDENDUM:  HAVING JUST PERUSED THE LYNX WEBSITE I DISCOVERED THAT SHE IS RETURNING TO ST. PETERSBURG FOR 2 WEEKS IN APRIL.  I HAVE PROCURED A TICKET FOR THE SUNDAY APRIL 7TH "SAILAWAY"  A 2 HOUR TRIP INTO THE BAY.  IS THAT COOL OR WHAT?  NOW WHERE IS THAT STUFFED PARROT I USED TO HAVE?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant