Skip to main content

A Good Traveller - The Great Summer Tour of 2013

“A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu



Picture not mine.  Just liked it.

Dates have begun to get semi-firm.  Tentative plans are to saddle-up on the wee morning hours of June 9th and head up North for an adventure on the bike.  First  days' destination is Warm Springs,  Georgia, site of Franklin Roosevelt's "Little White House".  After checking it out I'll be finding accommodations there or, depending on the time, heading up to Gadsden, Alabama.  


 
View Larger Map


The first day will be mostly interstate riding.  Don't really want to do it this way but Florida is like a one-road-out state.  Besides it will get me well on my way so I can spend some time in Warm Springs.  My butt will be fine (it'll be worse the 2nd day) so a fast-start early-end day might be in order.

ALTERNATE ROUTE:

I could set my sights for Andalusia or Meridian and travel up that way.  Maybe hit some of Mississippi.  I don't know.  It's a possibility.


View Larger Map

Day two will be the fun day, hopefully.  I'll be back-roading it and I don't want time-pressures so I can stop and take pictures of interesting things.   Back country roads in Alabama, what could go wrong?  Pissed off dogs and guys with shotguns.  Glad I've got Florida plates instead of Illinois.



View Larger Map

Day three.  Again, mostly back roads into Illinois from Clarksville.  I've travelled the Interstate from when Brendan was here, it would be nice to see some things off the beaten path.  Again, I'll be in no hurry but don't want to spend a fortune for gas and rooms before I even get to Illinois.  Otherwise I'll be dependent on the kindness of strangers.

Other items of note regarding the trip:




HELMET.  I HAVE TWO OF THEM AND WILL DECIDE WHETHER TO TAKE THE MODULAR OR FULL.   THEY ARE GMAX WITH LED'S FOR SAFETY.






MY RIDING JACKET (COMPLETE WITH DUCT TAPE SLEEVES) *,  RIDING GLOVES AND BOOTS.  *I DRAPED MY MESH JACKET OVER THE PIPES ONCE, AND MY JACKET MELTED.






I HAVE A PLAN.  PREPARATION IS EVERYTHING.  THREE DAYS SHOULD GET ME BACK THERE IN GOOD SHAPE WITHOUT PUSHING IT.





IN MAY I WILL TAKE THE BIKE INTO BARNEY'S YAMAHA OF ST. PETERSBURG AND GET IT READY FOR A TRIP.






I HAVE LUGGAGE FROM MY UTAH/SOUTH DAKOTA TRIPS IN 2004.  IT'S PACKING EVERYTHING INTO 2 LEATHER BAGS THAT GETS TRICKY.




I'll make updates as we get closer.  Naturally, everything is subject to change.  Might stay 2 weeks, maybe all summer, maybe forever. Might just say the Hell with it and hop on an Allegiant jet and save money, wear and tear, and my butt.  Might have to delay or push ahead because of weather.  It's all flexible, but I did want to be there in time for Sturgis On The River the weekend of the 12th.

One thing that weighs heavy is the roof at the place in Henderson.  If I do it myself I could save some money and also get an old car.  Do I have the chops for such a project?  It has layers so it would take a couple of weeks, and that's if everything goes well.  Does anyone have a ladder they can loan me?  And a hammer?  Roofing knowledge?  All I really know is I fell off one 20 years or so ago.

One of my teachers in college harped, "Never pass up an opportunity to travel."  I may have another few adventures left in me.  I have already asked the BFE crew (and plan to ask Jeff) if anyone is up for a South Dakota trip in 2014.  We discussed it once in BFE but then I up and went to Florida instead.   So, we'll just see what is going on in 6-7 weeks and plan accordingly.  Stay tuned - anything can happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant