Skip to main content

This and That, Mostly That


Went to the flea Market last weekend.  A provocative and alluring Madame LaFarge, here, was holding down a booth of oils and such.  



Spotted this one.  Yes, under this old mature grey veneer is a 16 year old giggling kid.  To my chagrin.  Now tell me.  Where else in your list of blogs can you get this kind of stuff?  Well, yes, Bodine-DILLIGAF.  But not too many others!




Apparently down here it is not the least bit acceptable to wear white socks under sandals not only before Easter, but EVER.  So says my daughter.




I recently admitted that re-reading novels is not usually my thing.  Far too many other good reads to get to than paying for the same real estate twice, so to speak.  This book was the only exception.  Read this one twice.  As scary as The Exorcist.  And, don't forget, I'm a giggly 14 year old, so of course I like to get scared.



Saw this stag horn fern at the flea market, too.  Didn't ask for the price, but it would have been more than I care to pay for anything at a flea market.




My favorite pastime at the market is to people watch.  There are signs all over about no dogs allowed.  Where did this guy hide Fifi? Uh not sure I want to know.




Norah getting tickled by a cheap plastic talking parrot.



Spotted this in an antique shop down here:  a postcard with Highland Park, Galesburg, IL on the front.  Where is/was Highland Park?  Lake Bracken?




This is a Whizzer bicycle I saw at a classic car dealership in Clearwater.




I came upon this at an antique/retro store on Central Avenue.  My parents had one when we were kids.  It was pretty cool.  Wonder what happened to it.  I should go back and get this baby.

ADDENDUM:  Went back this past weekend and it was gone.  Rule number 1.  always take your camera, and rule number 2. don't overthink the small stuff.



Mirrors to a kid are great fun and fascinating.  To an old guy they become annoying and useless; objects to be avoided and scorned.  




I was driving by this cemetery and noticed the wind-swept dancing helium balloon.  I decided to investigate.  I shouldn't have.  It was a party balloon to commemorate the anniversary of a young man's death.  Joe Marr died at 21 on March 1st 2006.  The basketball shaped headstone had on it "On My Way to NBA".  The scene was complete with cigarette and empty can of Natural Ice beer.  As much happiness and joy as there is in this world, there is equal sadness and heartbreak.



There is a poor man's macro photography for those who can't afford expensive lenses.  Take the lens you have off, turn it around and instead of a telephoto you now have a macro.  I tried it and took this picture of a rusty screw on some guttering here at Shawshank.

Comments

  1. There is an interesting article in the Galesburg Register Mail archives about Highland Park. If you Google Galesburg iIllinois Highland Park. It was apparently THE place to go around 1900.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Highland Park is / was out in East Galesburg near the Brick Yard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant