Skip to main content

Inane Inanities #19

1.  After 18 months of boycotting Wal-Mart, I broke down and purchased a bike pump the other day.  I wanted to give them another try to see if there had been any changes that would allow them to get off my Least Desirable Merchant List.  They earned my boycott based on waiting times, store ambiance and employee service.
Sadly, while my wait wasn't as long as I had expected, it was still too lengthy and my checkout person was surly and uncommunicative.  It goes back on the my list and we'll see how they are in 2014.

2.  In a recent issue of Men's Health magazine, Tampa received an F rating for its drivers and overall driving skills.  St. Petersburg received a D.   I can attest to these scores.  Here is a very brief (3 second) video of some guy going backwards out of Shawshank the other day.  I'm sorry it is so short but mark it down as part shock and wanting to avoid this guy.  I have no clue as to why he was leaving the compound in reverse.






3.  There is a place on Central Avenue, kind of the Haight-Ashbury of St. Petersburg,  that has this sign at their restaurant.  Sounds different.  I think I'd like to go.



Excuse the picture, it's a lousy one, but it says real Thai dancers will dance while you enjoy authentic cuisine.  Well, I'm sure I wouldn't mind the Thai dancing, but don't Thais use dogs in their cooking?*

4.  This drunk bum was crossing the street when he dropped his bag and some things started rolling out.  he spent quite some time attempting to do the hand-eye coordination thing of trying to get said items back in the bag.  he worked it pretty well only to drop something and go back to the task at hand.  All this, mind you while traffic is buzzing by.  St. Pete street lights are notoriously long so I was quite entertained.  At the moment I took this picture someone in one of the cars ahead threw out one of those reusable grocery bags for him.  



5.  There are frightening things in life:  dentists, biopsies, The Chicago Cubs, boarding airplanes,  phone calls in the middle of the night, and people dressed as rabbits who sneak up behind you at Walgreen's.. 



6.  I have been amazed in my exile at the coinage I find all over the place down here.  About every trip out I spot a penny and sometimes a nickel laying in parking lots,  sidewalks and floors of stores.  I have always picked it up and quite pleased at my discoveries.  Quite often at great personal peril, I might add.  It's tough to look at oncoming traffic when your head is down attempting to spot copper.  Here poor Christopher up in BFE with his metal detector has to go to such lengths for a penny, when if he was down here all he'd need do is go to Target or the grocery store.

My exuberance was somewhat deflated last week when someone told me that picking up coins "head down" are bad luck.  Well, that explains a lot.

7.

Did you know that skirted chairs are a throwback to the Victorian Age when a leg, be it human or chair, was not to be displayed?

8.  

This looks to be a real live hippie.  Lord! I didn't know any were around anymore.   Warms my heart, though, being the old long-haired hippie myself back when.  I recall fondly the time a girl and I were in Denver and bent down at a windowed display in a department store.  A sales clerk walked up behind us and said, "Anything I can help you girls with?"

9.  


Spring Has Sprung In BFE

10.  I just can't watch animals being mowed down and devoured on the Animal channels. 

11.  Downtown there is a building that has pictures of pets who are no longer with us.  



12.  Norah being Norah:


Her favorite movie at the moment is Rio and like a full-fledged big person she made herself comfy watching it the other day.


She is also wanting to do more and more for herself.  Today she wanted to put her own pants back on after a diaper change.  Take my word for it, she got it wrong this time.

13.  I forget where I was, but two Southern gentlemen were conversing and it sounded like lingual poetry.

14.  They keep saying Sears is going to die.  Wherever will we get the BEST tools ever: Craftsman?

15. I am saddened and appalled that McDonald's Fish McBites have not only not caught on with the public, but may not survive much longer.  Seriously, it was about the only thing on the menu I ordered.  (That and a cup of ice cream).  

16.  

This is one of my pens I keep at the desk.  It is one of those manly-men type thick felt Sharpy style things.  It is also quite ancient, having been erroneously placed in my box of belongings when I left the Mary.  I wonder if the statute of limitations has expired?  Anyway, if I leave the cap off awhile it tends to dry up a bit until I start using it and then the ink returns.  Makes sense right, we always put the cap back on our pens?  Supposedly if a felt pen lies around in the air then it will tend to dry.  My question:  isn't there air in the cap?  Why doesn't it dry up when it is capped?  This feature isn't called "Inane" for nuthin'.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant