Skip to main content

First Day - The Little White House

Look at a map and you'll see that Warm Springs, Georgia is not conveniently located close to an interstate or main artery.  If you go you slog through small towns, two-lanes black tops and enough scenery to last you for a decade or so.  It is worth it.  I'm glad I set this, Franklin Roosevelt's Little White House, as my first attraction in my trip.  At $10.80 the site is well worth the admission price for a guy who overcame personal health issues, helped win World War II, embraced us through the Depression, and instituted many programs which are still with us today.   The artifacts are the real things and bet you have seen many of them in newsreels, the History Channel, or textbook photographs.     



I really didn't want the 12-minute movie, but the site staff guy in the wheel chair (apropos, I thought for FDR's place) was so appreciative of my participation in the PGR (I was wearing my Patriot Guard Rider T-shirt) that I felt compelled.   The film was pretty standard stuff but had some nice scenes of FDR tooling around Warm Springs in his modified Ford and communing with the townsfolk.   Besides, I was the only one in the theater.  Not only that, but besides a couple, it was just me at the place.  It was like they had a private showing just for me.  

FDR began coming to Warm Springs for the mineral waters thought to be a possible cure for his polio.  It wasn't of course, but it made him feel better so he bought a parcel of land and built the unassuming 2 bedroom pine cottage which would become known as the Little White House.  Built in 1932, his first year in office, FDR would die in this place on April 12, 1945 of a cerebral hemorrhage.


This is a patio table and chairs that were used at the Little White House.


Some artifacts kept after his death.


Here is the Ford FDR modified to allow him to drive.  His polio sapped his ability to drive but he used gadgets attached to the steering wheel that he designed himself.


One of FDR's hats.


Wheelchair and braces.


He painted the lower areas of he braces black so it would blend better with his socks.


The cape FDR used often and seen in the Yalta picture below.




These are the two guest houses on the grounds.


Upstairs bedroom in the guest house.


Downstairs bedroom.



The Little White House



Surrounding wooded area.  This place was really tucked away in the Georgia pucker- brush. Not the grand overlook one might thing, but tucked in the Georgia forests, it is still a pretty dazzling spot.  


The small kitchen with its ordinary sink and work table.  Kind of wish I'd gotten a better picture of the oven, now that's pretty neat.  I also missed taking a picture of scratches on the doors made by Fala, his dog.  Look Fala up and you'll see an interesting story all on its own.



It's not your eyes, this is a blurry picture of all the cups, saucers, and plates in the pantry area.  Pilot error.  



Please Come Back Tomorrow For More.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant