Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


 I recently unearthed a picture of the Blythe clan about 70 years ago.  This was the home of my Dad's parents in Seaton just north of the square.  To the far left you have my mother, Marj who, curiously, is sitting just a bit away from everyone else.  I am guessing her boyfriend, my Dad Herb, is off to war and she is spending a Sunday with her boyfriend's family.  She does look a bit timid, but gamely smiles on.



Next to her, and clearly front and center, is Orpha, the matriarch of the Blythe family.  My grandmother was a "salt-of-the-earth" type who was not given to facial smiles or acts of affection to us boys.  I suppose she had her virtues, and I'm sure she was a loving wife and mother to her children, but apparently she was simply too wore out to shower us kids with anything but stern looks.

I haven't a clue as to the kids in this group,  so we'll pass over them, but next to Marj and hiding behind a towhead appears to be Madge, a daughter-in-law and married to Herb's brother Granville.  Why Granville isn't in the picture is a mystery.  Perhaps he is the one taking the picture.

To Madge's left is V.G., my grandfather who was another one of those salt-of-the-earth types.  By all accounts hard working and a loving husband and father to his children.  I have three stories about V.G. that don't necessarily flatter his memory but unfortunately, it is about all I remember.  Both he and Orpha "seemed" old even when we were kids.  This didn't change through the years.   

One story is his absolute devotion to the Republican party.  After his retirement he would come down to the elevator and sit in an old red overstuffed chair.  It was a hard plastic type material and the arms had cracked open revealing the stuffing.  Farmers would come in and start pushing his buttons about politics and he'd be back there slamming his fists in the arm of the chair with stuffing flying all over muttering something like, "Goddamn Democrats!"  Arms flying, cotton batting flying and everyone having a good laugh while his blood pressure rose.  

Another story was he would pick us boys up and take us to a small acreage he had below the bluff near Keithsburg.  He always had some Red Man chewing tobacco handy and he'd be driving along and spit out the juice.  Trouble was, half the time the window was still up.  Eventually when I would start driving his car a little in high school, I tried getting the stains off the window but by then they were permanent.

On the morning of our 16th birthday, V.G. drove up to the house and slowly walked by cane up to the front door and after being invited in had a seat on one of the dining room chairs.  This process having taken an interminable amount of time, it seemed like forever, as we were itching to get to the bus to take us to school.  Marj worked at Westmer and Phil had already left in his sharp Chevy or Camaro, I forget which classic he had at this time (but I'm not bitter).  I'm sure there were glances between we wombies, as the "Veeg" began what he must have been practicing since we were born.  

He said, "Just remember..." and as if we were receiving the wisdom of the ages on our landmark 16th birthday, he continued, "vote Republican and marry a good cook." 
  




Next to V.G is daughter Gladys.  Gladys outlived all of them and died a couple years ago  at well over 90 years of age.  There have been many wonderful stories about Glady's as well and most are true.  A colorful lady with a heart as big as all outdoors, she was married to my Uncle Ed, to her left in front and I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with her when I worked for him on the farm.  Every noon we'd stop whatever we were doing and go up for lunch.  Gladys would preface every meal with the comment that it wasn't very good.  But it always was.  

The fellow next in line I have no clue as to who he was.

And then there's Ed.  My buddy who started as my Uncle, then became my boss and ended up one of my all-time friends.  How do you thank someone who gave you thousands of laughs, and taught you what it was to be a honorable fellow.  A man of wit, easy to laugh, and slow to anger (although I was able to do it on occasion).


Ed was not a handsome man.  Add to that he wore a fashionable mid-1930's mustache and the guy looked simply kind of weird.  Add to that Adolph Hitler had the same kind and it was almost unsettling.   Large nose, thin face,  Ed had the visage of a cartoon character.  Through the years we had several adventures of our own on the farm.  But, looks are deceiving: funny, knowledgeable, kind and most of all, damn nice.  
         
One such adventure was when we had to fix a fence across a crick.  We would be stretching fence and barbed wire fencing down in the water and then along the banks.  It would be wet, muddy work but Ed was prepared.  He took off his pants revealing boxers and took of his shirt leaving a wife-beater type undershirt.  He put on his rubber boots, gloves and oddly enough, welder's glasses.  He also kept his hat on.  After the experience I guess I was so impressed with the image that I jotted it down on Seaton Grain Company stationery, which is barely visible at the top of the sheet of paper.   I found it a few weeks ago after all these years. 

The take-away for today's Flashback?  Leave enough info on your pictures so that future generations will know who everyone is.  And there is a bookend of the one's I loved most growing up.  My Mother on one end, and my Uncle on the other.  They are me, and I am them.



Comments

  1. Great blog Mike. It is frustrating to have photographs and have no idea who some of the subjects are. In addition to names it is a good idea to indicate when and where the picture was taken. Hopefully our blog ramblings will give our children and grandchildren some idea who we were and what we thought when we are no longer around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant