Skip to main content

I'm Back




I know I promised the second part of  Something A Little Different today, but you will have to wait until tomorrow.  Today I just wanted to let you know that I returned safely (barely) from my trip up North last Thursday (June 27th).  I then turned right around and babysat Norah on Friday.  So right now I am healing in places that don't usually need healing and taking stock of the trip, my buddies and friends, and family I left behind.

Thank yous will be going out to those who devoted their time, took days off, gave gifts or resources to ensure a great time.  And I did have a great time.  Thank you.

In 2004 I took 4 cross-country trips to Wisconsin (does that count?), Arkansas, Utah and South Dakota for a total of 7,000 motorcycle saddle miles.  I have not added up the miles but it would appear to be around 2.600 this time for a total of 10,000 long distance miles, and I may have a thought or two regarding such trips.

One, if you take a trip of any length make sure you are prepared.  Rainproof luggage, sunscreen, good rubber on the tires and good maps.  Mapquest and Google maps on an iPhone are almost worthless for perspective and finding your way around from one route to another.  I was lost a good part of the time going up because I didn't have good maps.

Two, don't try to make a three day trip into two.  I tried and am still suffering from the effects.  Saddle sore, monkey-butt, busted ass, you name it.  Asses and stock seats are not meant to grind against each other for 1300 miles in two days.

Three, I mentioned good rubber.  I had a blowout 400 miles from home and that is because I assumed the tire was good.   I can tell you that there were any number of places along the route that had I had the blowout and was unable to keep the bike upright and in the proper lane would have spelled doom for this kid.  In addition, one guy tried running me off the road near Clarksville TN and I almost rammed a guy from the rear near Plains, GA.

Four, slow down.  You will see things that have such beauty that are indescribable.  Outside Gadsden Alabama heading up to Chattanooga I saw the most beautiful foggy sunrise around a bridge that I should have left the interstate and found a spot to take pictures.  But I didn't.  I thought my journey was about arriving somewhere when it was really about being where I was.  There were a few other times I should have heeded this advise, but I was too anxious to get to the end.  Part of that also is doing it alone, which makes a hard journey even harder.

Cycling is tough, hard work and you must remain in good shape, awake and relatively fresh.  Pull over if you must for an hour or more, or just shut it down for the day.  If you have allotted time for the trip, then being a little late to your destination won't break the trip.

I will begin to organize the pics and posting will start in a few weeks.  Finally, would I do it again?  Of course.  I much prefer the hardship of cycling than the comfort of cars.  If you would have asked me that 3 days ago, I would have said, "Hell, no!"   But it was an adventure, and although I surely have permanent nerve damage to my butt, the real joy is in the ride, the countryside and journeying both ways toward people I love.
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant