Skip to main content

Some Days Are Almost Perfect

Some days are near perfect.  Not many, not many at all.  But once in a while amongst the clunkers, the mediocre, the simply memorable, pleasant and mostly forgettable comes a perfect one.  On day 7 (June 18) of a mostly great vacation it was time to travel West to Mount Pleasant, Iowa to partake in a Jerry's Pizza which is the greatest, period.  I don't care what your favorite pizza is, it doesn't come close to Jerry's.  Therefore a trek to Iowa whenever back is not only delectably desired, it is munchibly mandatory.  I asked a dear friend to accompany me and she quickly agreed, having made the journey last year, too.  Since there was skulduggery afoot I will only refer to this friend as PJ, or Mom, or Wife, the latter two referrals which will be evident later.



First stop is the Iowa Wesleyan College bookstore.  I am in pursuit of a tasteful IWC polo but find a 3T cheerleader outfit instead.  Complete with a purple and white pom-pom, this will look great on my little cheerleader back in St. Pete.  No polo, but this is even better.  The lady behind the counter wished me and my Mom a good day.  PJ didn't look happy.

While checking out I ask the girl if she is aware of the residence of the famous Professor Emeritus, Dr. George LaMore, whose soaring oratory and lectern brilliance moved me from a Political Science to a Philosophy/Theology major.  She didn't know, but wondered if I might be helped at the Student Life office just down the hallway.  Once there, I asked again, and a lady walking by who overheard said she was going over to McKibbin Hall and would point out his house, which is right across the street.  PJ and I joined her and she showed me his house and said when I was done to stop by the dorm and I could see my old room when I was a freshman.

Walking over to Dr. LaMore's house I could see he was backing out of the driveway and his wife was waiting to get into the car.  I approached and there he was asking if he had clearance from the left with his side mirror.  After all these decades and the renowned professor was asking ME and question!  After I helped him ease out of the driveway we began a banter,  back and forth that was virtually non-stop.  No, he didn't remember me, but the name was familiar.  (Why should he?  I wasn't a big talker in class like the other kiss-ass groupies in all classes.)   I told him of his influence and my pleasure in his classes, and he asked what I had done with myself.  They were heading off to Ottumwa and running late but he would be glad to sign my textbook from his class should I call on him next time I am in Mt. P.  Now 83, but with the smile and sparkle in his eye that I remembered 35 years ago.  I was like a drooling fawning dog to a beloved master.  Man, what a thrill.  Jane, George's wife wishes me and my wife a good day.  PJ is looking happier.  



This poor picture of a dorm room is my residence in my first year at IWC.  My roommate was Lennie, a nice but dumb jock from New York.  He left to go back home after the first semester leaving me the place to myself.  I got rid of the bed on the left and changed that area into a mini-bar area complete with dorm fridge.  The next year having pledged with Phi Delta Theta, I would move into the frat house. 



Next was a side trip to the old Iris Restaurant on the edge of town.  The Iris used to be THE place to go for a good meal and upscale dining if one tired of the West Side's charming sleaze.   I had even had a chance to visit the place in 2003 and it was still open and even had a few drinks there that time with my Pledge Son, Dan Kolbow who had returned for Homecoming.  The purpose was to steal, yes abscond, with a bench I had found last year that was something I'd like to have as a memento.  The poor Iris is now an empty shell, forlorn and abandoned.  




Behind the old closed up place was a weathered rickety bench that had "IRIS RESTAURANT" on the top board and "MT. PLEASANT" on the next one.  I envisioned these boards hanging on my rec room walls someday.  Not that I have a rec room, but I have hopes.  


Egged on by PJ,  I swing into the weedy parking lot, turn the truck around and begin to back in toward the rear, and spy my prized possession, still there, where I had last seen it.  In a Herculean  effort defying convention, my age or the laws of Iowa and decent society, I got out of the truck and saw there was very little action next door in a truck repair area.  It was now or never with PJ yelling, "DO IT!"   I walked over to the bench and hurled it into my truck, climbed back in and whisked away with my treasure.  I justify my theft by saying I am saving an artifact from the ravages of weather and neglect.   

Next stop, Jerry's Pizza.  I keep looking in my rear-view mirror expecting lights from law enforcement, but it seems that we have successfully stolen an unwanted bench from a deteriorating old building that is forlornly forgotten.





At Jerry's I get the usual and PJ and I down it in good time, chatting away about our devious exploits.  I order a couple more, half-baked, to take to Mark and Holly's and our adventure for the day is almost over.  But not quite.  I discover as I am leaving that for a price Jerry's will deliver their best EVER pizza anywhere in the US.  For $69.00 Mrs. Jerry will take however many pizzas you order over to the UPS office before six o'clock.  UPS will ship next day on dry ice.  What a day!  On top of everything else I find out I can get Jerry's delivered to St. Pete.  Yes, $69.00 is a lot to pay for shipping.  But it would be a lot for any other pizza, but not Jerry's.  Because Jerry's is the best.  Besides no other pizza tastes as good AND makes you feel 20 again.  

What a great day!  Just about perfect.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant