Skip to main content

Friday - First Day Back

On Friday I went over to the G-Burg area to check out the new roof on my house in Henderson which was done my Simkins Home Improvement from Knoxville.  The job looked pretty good.  Not sure it was any better than if I'd rounded up the usual suspects to help me, but in the end, it was a good call to just "hire it done", my three favorite words.  On second thought, yeah, it looked a lot better than if I'd tried doing it myself.  

Then over to Sutor Woods to see the latest canine addition, a half Corgi mix named Teddy. A carnation for Candy, both Teddy and Lily Lu looked happy.   

Somewhere near there and a bit north of G-Burg is a place that looks like a business but I have no idea what kind.  Outside something caught my eye and so I pulled over.  Since this week has an old car theme to it, I thought you might be interested in something you have never seen before, I know I had not.  Parked in the yard was this Austin.    




This is an English car, an Austin that were made from 1905 until as recently as 1985, although a merger with Morris Motors Limited started to chip away at its identity.  It stared as a luxury car and during World War I made all kinds of armaments for the war.   In 1922 they started making a mass produced, inexpensive car.  In 1937 Austin entered into an arrangement with Nissan to make the Austen 7 and this would later become the Datsun.    
  



 This is a Austin of England A-40 Somerset model that they made in between 1950 and 1954.    





Like all the great car marques, they had a flair for the hood ornament.  Check out the Nash ornament sometime.  It is a lady laying on her stomach being moved along on a kind of blanket.  





Also in 1952, Austin would enter into an agreement with Donald Healy, a renowned automotive engineer and they would produce sports cars names Austin-Healy.  



This particular car is probably best as a donor or parts car.  The interior has been gutted and maybe even the engine, too.  Not sure about that, but this is strictly a roller.  Really rather in bad shape, I wouldn't want to start trying to find parts for this one over here. 



It needs everything and therefore, is best probably as a conversation piece next to the side of a road and likely not for full restoration.  That would be costly.  




Back to Aledo and the Wombie takes the afternoon off.  Always fun to hop into the Jeep and go somewhere.  


Hang on Holly!

Busy day.  Received an invite to join my buds at BFE so back to North Henderson to party a little with Tim, Carrie, Jen, Rick, Logan and Meghan.  



That 1000-yard stare from Rick is because he is about to embark on a road trip to Miami and then on to a cruise in the Caribbean.  I hope they have fun even without me.


Old Blue, Tim's Harley and his old Kawi in the garage.  Is that a dent in the gas tank?  Egads!!!


The McCutcheons (Meghan, Jen, Logan, and Rick).  One of the first times I have been able to snap a picture and didn't get a flying salute from Rick.  I am pleased.  After a few cold ones, I head back to Aledo and happy to see the old gang at the BFE Community Center.

End of Day 1.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant