Skip to main content

Sights


Other Sights In And Around...Home 



I had supper with Tim And Carrie,  of BFE, at the Depot in New Windsor.  They are always fun and glad we met.  This is a picture of them heading back to their home on "Ole Blue".  



The abode in Henderson.  Nice new roof.  



Building a new Aldi over by Wal-Mart.  Convenient location...for nobody.  The old place was better for college kids and seniors living downtown.  


Bugos-White 
Sept 1941





The above pictures are a couple of buildings I have driven by hundreds of times but never checked out.  They are right next to an old livestock sales barn just a couple miles or so south of Alpha on the west side of the road.  I pulled in and decided to check them out.  If anyone knows anything about what they used to be and what Bugos-White means please let me know.




In one of those really strange coincidences that occur once in a while,  right next to BeerBelly's bar in Aledo is the DUI evaluation office.



I spent a hot afternoon in Keithsburg Greenmound cemetery looking for the grave site of Gordon Duncan, the Seaton Cold Case murder victim.  I thought it was important to find the grave to wrap up the post I made on September 6th.  I couldn't find it but I did get awful close to this structure.  When we were kids we'd drive by the cemetery and spot this cross.   We heard the urban myth that one night some local boys tied up a kid here and when they checked on him in the morning he was dead.




Arriving back at Mark and Holly's house after traipsing around the hot cemetery in Keithsburg I saw this window thermometer.  I need to get back to Florida so I can cool off.  I can assure you it NEVER gets this hot in Florida.  

Before I leave I wanted to let you know some of the other people I ran into this trip, some of whom I have not seen since high school:  Morty McWhorter, Mike Sponsler, Jim Childs, Spike Heck, Jerry Bigham, Rick Barger and his sons, Louis Owens, Jr., Jeff Benson, Randy Anderson, Dave Cooper, jeff Baldwin, and Fern and Wendell Dillavou.  



Last night home I attended Budde's Bar and Pizza on Main Street in G-Burg.  From left: Carol Sutor, me, "Thumbs Up" Jeff Sutor, and Tennessee John.  Unwilling to have her picture taken but was there nevertheless was Pat Johnson.  We had some beer, some pizza, listened to good music and chatted about all kinds of things. Good time.  Can't wait till I can do it again.  Anyone need me?  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant