Skip to main content

This And That


Various items that may be of interest, or not.



Bet you didn't know that each state has its own rules regarding resale of mattresses in retail shops.  In Illinois it is illegal to sell used mattresses in stores although it is OK in private transactions.  Florida allows it. From the looks of this store, however, I wouldn't by a key chain.  


This cute fellow was hanging onto the side of the exterior wall early one morning as I was taking the garbage out.





My son-in-law manning one of the machines at work.  When his Personal Training days ended when the gym was sold, he landed a job in Dunedin at Coca-Cola.  




I still babysit.  As you can see, we have a general policy of diapering convenience.  Every day when I sit for Norah it's Casual Friday.   She particularly enjoys being at the command center. 




This little guy was rushing along the sidewalk the other morning.  The picture isn't too clear, is it?  I need a macro lens for the camera that would really get in this snail's grille.  Funny about these things, though.  I slipped inside to do something breifly and when I returned, he was gone.  I looked all over and never saw him.  I guess they can speed up when people aren't around.



In keeping with what appears to be a wildlife theme, this little guy lives just outside the from door.  These Florida scrub lizards are all over the place down here.  We usually call them geckos, but they really aren't.  This guy is sporting a forked tail.  Now, in my best National Geographic impersonation, I sat on the steps for a long time waiting to get the right picture.  And then I only had my cell phone camera.  I thought I would grab him and run off to the circus where I would be famous for discovering a unique species.  Sadly, the forked tail is fairly common.  It happens when the tail experiences a trauma but doesn't fall completely off.  When it starts to regenerate, it looks like this.  





Ever wonder what it looks like underneath a pinball machine?








You just can't get this kind of stuff anywhere else.  

The bad news,  I'm going to keep posting.  The good news, it's free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant