Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  I am beginning my 27th month of boycotting Wal-Mart.  Except for a trip to one in Aledo sometime this summer and maybe once down here in an emergency, I have avoided Wal-Mart.  I detest them.  Long lines (one that lasted 42 minutes once) sealed the deal and I haven't missed them a bit.  In fact, I have even applied for a Target card that gets me 5% off on all my purchases.  
I was curious as to whether my not being a customer has affected them so I looked at their chart.  In the past year this is what I discovered.  On October 9th of last year the stock price was 74.14.  On October 9th of 2103 it was $73.00, a drop of $1.14.  Clearly my absence has made a dramatic effect on Wal-Mart.  Sadly, however, my egomania falls apart when looking at the stock price for two years.  It has risen $18.99 cents since October 12th of 21011.   Given that statistic it doesn't look like they have missed me at all.   But they still won't get me back.  





2.  

If you can read this sign you don't need the class.  Shouldn't it be in another language?  


3.  


I shot (photographically speaking) this right out my bedroom window.  The softness comes from taking the picture through the screen.


4.  Is this how the love of motorcycles starts?




5.  Didn't watch a single playoff baseball game.  I re-watched Breaking Bad from the beginning.  I understand I missed some good games.   Truth is, since the Met's last-week-of-season chokes in '08 and '09, and the Bernie Madoff association, I have just not been into baseball.  I could never have imagined a time when it wouldn't be enjoyable for me, but, sadly, I find fantasy baseball a better bargain all around.    

6.  Would someone please remind me that if I have ships traversing 11 time zones,  or if I have an Amazon-like company with acres of merchandise, or if I'm in a bind with the SEC I should call BDO.  

7.  Speaking of commercials is it just me but are they getting more stupid, thus adding to American dumbing-down?  Why is the word "awkward" used in more than 3 current commercials at the end?  Because it is was a semi-humorous catchword for about 12 seconds, and because they think we will find it uproariously funny. 

Commercials, dear readers, reflect Madison Avenue's image of the common American; it essentially puts a mirror back on us.  Logically speaking advertisers produce ads designed for the demographic they seek.  Take some time to dissect the commercials while nestled in front of the tube.  Then, find a better way to spend these 5 or 6 minutes.  “Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don’t have for something they don’t need.” – Will Rogers


8.  Here is a segment of the best TV show ever just to keep you Breaking Bad fans mournful for its passing.  I think it surpassed The Wire for honors as Best TV show ever.  My Sundays seem so empty now.  




"El Paso" scene in Breaking Bad plus the rest of it from Bonnie Rose on Vimeo.

9.  Overheard on same day.  (Please kids, get a good education.)

a.  (At McDonald's from two employees) 
"They took down (undecipherable) from the menu."
"It was tooken down?" 

b.  From high school age Halloween trick-or-treater.
"Take a couple (referring to items in candy bowl)."
"What's a couple?"

10.



Norah multi-tasking.

11.  Stopped for a ice cream treat at Dairy Inn on MLK Boulevard the other day.  An old man was having lunch and the tables were occupied so he asked if he could sit with me.  Chance meeting are fun, sometimes.  This guy and I struck up a conversation.  I discovered he was taking a break while his wife was at the hospital getting treatment for cancer.  He said he had been by this place hundreds of times but never stopped.  I told him he should get some ice cream since it was the best around.  I also found out he had come from Cleveland and he and his wife enjoyed traveling.  They had last been to Alaska.  When he finished we shook hands and I wished his wife well in treatment.  Two strangers, no longer strangers. A random, chance encounter.  

12.  


Miles to go before I sleep.

13.  Breakfast is my favorite meal.  There's simply not too many items I won't try.  For cheapness, OK food, and late hours ambiance, nothing beats Waffle House.  Brendan and I have kind of a 3:30/4:00 am thing going on when helping transport him from work.  

Reasons I like early morning breakfast: 

  • People are friendlier at 3:00 am.  It's like a late night club and you are a member.
  • Lack of people adds an air of mystery.
  • Nothing beats the smells of breakfast at anytime, early morning just makes it better.
  • The feeling that a whole day yawns before you; it's empowering.  
  • Sometimes you get a show (hit up a Waffle House around 3:30 am on a Sunday). 
  • And sit across from that guy below.  He won't buy but he'll protect the Hell out of you.



14.  And finally, Mike is to gym what _________ is to ________.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant