Skip to main content

Inane Inanities - Grumpy Old Man Edition

1.  I'm sure the Ron Burgundy schtick is funny, but I just don't get it.  It must be me, I'm sure.  Everyone has their humor buttons wired differently.   Since I, myself,  am not funny, I have admired and kept close at hand those who are:  my brothers, Uncle Ed, Tim, Jeff, Randy and the late Mike Johnson are/were funny people.  Pat is a riot in a self-deprecating way.  Rose laughs at everyone's humor so she is great to have around.  So it's not like I don't have a sense of humor, it's just that it is my own.  But the Ron Burgundy thing is beyond me.   Confession:  I have not seen the movie that came out 10 years ago, won't, and do not plan on seeing the new one.  Looking like a dork, saying stupid things and mugging seems a bit vacuous.  If that is criteria for stardom I should go to Hollywood, I've been doing that for decades.

2.  Make that two cultural things I don't get.  The Walking Dead series is something that makes me yawn.  Everyone else loves it so I'll put it in my "It must be me" file.  I have tried to get "into" it three times - each unsuccessfully.  Sssslllllooooowwwww moving, about as fast as paint drying on molasses.  The focus seems to be on the daily angst of the characters with long, endless quiet scenes of serious faces and seeming anguish over not remembering the next lines.  George Romero, Father of the Zombie phenomena called it a soap opera with occasional zombies.  Sounds like he likes it more than I do.  Personally, I just think I have an unresolved issue over it having become the Sunday night replacement of Breaking Bad.

3.


Discovering Puppy Chow.

4.  As I write this on Saturday morning I feel I am missing a lot of things:
  • Tanner's Orchard Cider doughnuts
  • Jerry's Pizza
  • Cold weather (it topped 82 degrees yesterday a new high.  Tell me how to get into the Christmas spirit)
  • Miss Frump
  • The sight of my Northern friend's faces



  • Prairie Farms Pumpkin Spice Milk.  First had it a couple years ago on a trip up North at Pat's house.  Greatest concoction I ever tasted.  Someone needs to gather all that stuff up, put in a box and overnight it to me.  It'll stay nice and chilled until it reaches Georgia, anyway.  After that, I'll take my chances.

5.  My apologies to Bailey on my recent rant on diminutive pooches.  All dogs are great, some are just bigger than others.  Bailey, I'm sure you are a Mastiff in your dreams.

6.  Shoulder update:  The second night after the cortisone shot I slept the first full night since I don't know when.  Since then the pain has slowly returned, but at a significantly less presence.  Today was my first at Physical Therapy.  I have home work assignments and they want me to come in 2 or 3 times a week.  That won't happen, but I'll give them once a week and I'll even do my stretching exercises. 

Andrew, my young, and earnest torturer said a lot of PT has to do with eliminating pain, but in my case, that is what they want to create.  Oh goody.

7.  Yes.  I went out on Black Friday.  It was just as crazy as you have heard.  This short clip is the line at Kohl's.  I wasn't out shopping, just out with Norah.  The line stretched from the registers down around the corner and all the way down another stretch of building.  All to save what, a few bucks?  What is your time worth?  My God, the look on these people's faces standing in an endless line.  Whoopie, having fun yet?  







8.  Sometimes you just get tired from all the play, fun, and activity.  Most of us have a realization that when sleep or fatigue has set in   we make a certain allowance for it.  We either go to bed, find a couch, or do a few jumping jacks to shake it off.   Here, Norah has simply collapsed in the front hall where she was about to play with her farm toys. 


What this means?  The babysitter gets a break for a couple hours now, too.

9.  After my tirades about Ron Burgundy and The Walking Dead, I'm a little reticent about reviewing, but there was something I saw the other weekend that I enjoyed.  Robert Redford is in a film currently out called All Is Lost.  It is a movie about a guy who is doing one of those around-the-world sailing trips.  Redford's character is doing this and his boat develops a leak, and the film is him trying to survive this event.  There is virtually no dialogue, save for an opening narrative and a couple frantic yells into the radio later on.  

What is remarkable is that Redford makes the seemingly trivial activities sweat-inducing.  It is on-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting, whilst sometimes doing nothing more than cinching a rope.  

It is also a very physical performance, too.  Climbing to the top of the mast, jumping from boat to life-raft, clanging around inside the boat as it tips over in one scene.  Of course Redford could make tying his shoes seem like high drama  too, and given that he is now 77 adds to his mystique.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant