Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  One of the brain-numbing things about living here at Shawshank is the almost total disregard for one's mental acuity.  When I lived in houses up North there was a necessity to think.  Chores and maintenance had to be planned, mowing accomplished, blades sharpened, trimming, painting, projects large and small.  Here at Shawshank there are no things to accomplish, nor yards to mow, nor any projects.  Because Shawshank is rented, I don't do any household projects.  It is work-free, and gated, like most cemeteries.  My chore regimen has atrophied, but not so my weight.  I just finished Frozen In Time about stranded crewmen in Greenland during World War II.  They survived in the nose of the plane, some crewmen who left for help in a snow fort they constructed, and a couple for a while in tents.  As strange as it may sound, the healthy ones gained weight, in some cases considerable.  They had lots to eat on the whole with drops of food from a regular flights from a base, and very little to do except lie in their sleeping bags all day.  

Since I crash landed here I have suffered the same fate, kind of.  Now I would in no way want to infer that my suffering is similar to those heroes, but our daily activities are.  Therefore, and in full view of regular readers, I am on a 100 day quest to shed excess weight.  April 21st is the 100th day, and on that Monday I will showcase the results, with before and after shots.   I think I can, I think I can… 

2.  Rehab at the Comedy Club,  All-Florida Orthopaedics slowed a bit this past couple of weeks due to new insurance and all that rot.  However I kept up with my homework exercises and when I see my Physical Torturer Eddie again he will be pleased.  So will Dr. Gnage when I see him tomorrow.  It is rather remarkable the progress that has occurred.  My range of motion has improved along with the pain. I can see the end of the tunnel.

3.  Saw Prisoners last weekend and it was pretty good.  Make sure you have the time since it is 2 1/2 hours, but full of suspense,  and Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman are superior in their roles.  Wait till you have some fingernails, you'll need 'em.

4.  Why do I like Downton Abbey?  It's has started its 4th season and while I like watching, I can't future out why.  

5.  Meanwhile, finished my 3rd season of Shameless thanks to Netflix.  I know why I like it: sex, it's funny, William Macy, sex, horny, and over the top plots.  But aside from all that, its a loving family that pulls together when it has to.  

6.  Gee, suppose its all that TV viewing causing weight gain?  Actually, I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, its great stuff.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant