Skip to main content

Jupiter and The Moon

The date is January 18th, 2014.  A new year, a new opportunity to work on heavenly photography.  That is, the stars.  I read where tonight would be a great time to take pictures of the Moon and Jupiter.  They were in close proximity within viewing the next couple of days, and like an intrepid knight battling the dragons, I continued my quest to understand a camera that was seemingly keeping its mysteries to itself.   




My first one, and perhaps my best, was at dusk right outside my front door.  Peeking through the prevalent clouds appeared both the Moon and Jupiter.   


The next few pictures repeat the scene, with varying degrees of cloud cover.   The two subjects never changing, but everything around them in constant flux.  







I was finished for tonight's picture taking, this last one looking very much like the dragon's eye; a menacing gaze toward the knight, wielding not a lance but a camera

As I was writing this, I thought, wow, how do I punch this up a little. It's a weak entry.   I've certainly had better posts, and maybe this won't survive the filtering process.  I mean, gee, the Moon and Jupiter?  Big deal.  And then I thought some more (I need to do this more often) and realized that something like this doesn't need "punching".  Imagine a small creature, a very small creature on a small world takes a small box and pushes a small button,  and reveals sights worlds away.  How's that for punching it up a little? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant