Skip to main content

Sea Cows


You already know my affinity for Vinoy Park.  About the only discernible landmark when you gaze across the Bay is the power plant and its smokestacks spewing clouds of whatever EPA-mandated clean stuff it spews.  I have been waiting for ages to use the word "spew" and now I have used it twice in one sentence.  Good for me.  


From the St. Pete side the power plant looks like this:  it is clear to the left and if you look closely you can see the smoke billowing out of the stacks.  This is Tampa Electric's Big Bend Power Station, at Apollo Beach.   
  



Warm water from the station is dumped into the Bay here and manatees, or sea cows have been using it to keep warm in the cool winter water of the Bay.  In 1986, Tampa Electric built an observation area and walkway in the vicinity so that people can come to see the manatees.  As excitement goes, manatees aren't really a bowl of laughs.  They don't do tricks and they don't do amazing manatee things. They just float.  But down here that passes for family entertainment so, "When In Rome…" 




This is how the plant looks up close and in full billow.  



This, then, is the site 100's of us have come to see this cloudy Saturday morning (Jan. 4).  The parking is difficult - cars, trucks and motorcycles are lined all along the road and the  site parking is full with cars slowly scavenging in circles waiting for someone to leave.  We lucked out, found something in the parking lot next to the exit.  But, my Lord, the crowd gives me cold fuzzies.  Isn't there anything this throng can come up with other than seeing lumbering backs of manatees wallowing in water?  



You arrive at the observation deck and this is basically what you see.  



And this.  


And this.  


You get the idea.



I suppose for environmentalists, marine mammal biologists, kids and liberals this would be an awesome site.  Frankly I thought it was a bit of a bore, but man, they sure pack them in.  I mean the place was so crowded I really got a touch of agoraphobia, demo-phobia, enochlophobia, and ochlophobia.  By the way, those are all recognized phobias relating to the fear of crowds.  I don't know if I had all of them but I'm sure I had a touch of at least one. 

I don't mean to be tough on the poor lumbering manatees.  They are marvelous creatures who add to the diversity of aquatic life.  And I didn't really think they'd put on a Rockettes type show like at Sea World, but navigating the crazy traffic and dodging all the people, it would have been nice to have a better payoff.  



A steam punks wet dream.  An old rusting generation of power spitting clouds of supposedly non-toxic waste.  Wow. 




A sea cow coming up for air.


A sea cow flipping its flapper.


This is one of the walkways through a mangrove.  



A blue heron walking by looking for morsels.  



Saw quite a few fish jumping out of the water.  Not sure what they were but perhaps mullet.  



Mullet is big down here and you can see trucks parked along the side of the road selling it from their morning catch.  



Never had it, but might try it if given the chance.  Saw a few sand sharks swimming around, too.



This is a sign that was posted showing the various fish in and around the waters at the plant.

The following YouTube film is NOT mine.  It is one I found but shows you what things look like here on a good day.  Apparently today was not a good day.  Maybe later in the season.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant