Skip to main content

First Week

Back Home.  Are there any better words?  Well, yes, probably many, but given my set of circumstances this week, this is the best for me at the moment.  Landed back in Illinois in Mid-February, to see snow, weather, friends and family.




This is my first glimpse of snow in years.  At a rest stop somewhere in Illinois I took this picture.  Looks like this was a spot for dogs to do their thing.  But it sure looked good to me.





Having arrived in G-Burg, I went over to Pat's for the first couple nights.  I took this the first day back as I was touring the countryside out by Wataga to just soak it in.  Walked out into the field to get write this for anyone back in Florida paying attention.








After a couple days at Pat's I headed over to Mark and Holly's and joined them on their weekly trip to Beer Bellies.  That's Jason Claussen on the left, the Wombie in the middle, and, of course, yours truly.  Directly between me and Mark clear in the back playing the machine was Holly.  I am a bit taken back by the proliferation of real, honest to goodness betting parlor type machines everywhere.  They really pay off, too.  I guess I was unaware that Illinois had eased betting restrictions.  The Wombie said the Country Club is also installing some.  Gee, I leave the state and the place gets fun.  

In the picture above the three stooges here, is a panorama of Beer Bellies.  The fellow leaning back is a fellow named Dave Olson, a Mercer County treasure.  Sitting next to him facing us is Danny Lee, a gentleman of equal wit and kindness.



Mark and Holly don't have Wi-Fi so my place to get caught up was McDonald's.  I was sitting with my head buried in the machine when I noticed an employee come out and take a picture.  When I turned around I saw why.  Beautiful, isn't it?  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant