Skip to main content

A Wedding In Zephyrhills

You have heard me talk about my high school buddy, Ed Johnson many times on this site.  As you know, then, he has a son, Michael,  who lives in the woods somewhere between Dade City and Zephyrhills.  Yes, you can get there from here, but it is a long and winding road that takes you through the Dark City, the unnameable place.

I took such a trip, and gladly, to help Ed finish the "Gazebo On Steroids" (see post dated 4/23/14) and promised you a look at it when finished and how it played a role in Michael's and Dee Dee's wedding.

The wedding was on March 16th, and was a fine and warm event.  


This was the refrigerator magnet that the two sent to remind everyone of the special day. Clever, no?  As you can tell, Michael is a Packer fan, just like his father, and when you can get your bride-to-be to have a sports team play a pivotal role in your wedding plan's why, then, you've found someone very special.  Those two jerseys war also at the reception and all guests were invited to scribble on them a message to the couple.  Nice touch.



Now you see why the gazebo, or double-deck, was so important for Ed to finish.  It was firstly, his gift to the couple, and secondly, it was where the nuptials were to take place.  



Not everyone was paying close attention to the ceremony.



It was a very nice ceremony and you can see why everything just had to work:  the finished gazebo, the weather, the grass seed germination.  Nice job, Ed.



Meanwhile, at the reception it looks an awful lot like I am holding a lecture of some sort, and this unflattering pose has me vexed.  Ed, ever the gentleman,  patiently lets me finish, then buys me a beer.  If he'd bought me the beer before I wouldn't have wasted people's time with my nonsense.




Ed and Deb Johnson.  Both are funny and Deb was nice enough to remind me that during their wedding I was pulled over (leading the wedding party to their reception) by the cops for speeding, a fact that I had conveniently and mercifully forgotten.



A Mother-Son dance.  I always cry at weddings.  I always drink at receptions.



Michael with the folks and the new in-laws.  

I had a great time, and it is always nice to see Ed.  I hadn't seen Deb in a while and her wit was refreshing to see in a action again.  Best of luck to the newlyweds, and if you  need a pool boy, just let me know.  I'm between gigs at the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant