Skip to main content

Flashback Friday 2004-2014

Continuing in the series, today we see various pictures of the Mary Davis Home before I left its hallowed halls and clanging doors.   



My trusty pickup, a 1996 Ford Ranger sits on guard for a quick noon hour trip home or home for good at 4:30.  This is an amazing truck, actually.  Bought it new and it still is serving its function admirably.  A run-in with a public Grocery pylon, and a fender bender by the current Mrs. Blythe in Atlanta, Blue has incurred some tough encounters lately.  She is dented and unsightly here and there, but, hey, ain't we all?  She has just recently turned over 100,000 miles and I suspect is good for another hundred K.  

It's kind of funny because through all those winter snows and salt her back end was real rusted out and a service station down here said it should be junked and taken off the road, and by the way we have a pick up you can buy right here.  I luckily said no, went to a place here and asked if they could fix the problem, and they did.  She is still on the road.   


When I first started and before we built on to the original structure, this was the all purpose room.  This was where kids spent their free time, and ate.  There were tables in this area and couches and TV in the carpeted area.  We added on thus creating the hallway on the right that went down to the new rec area, rooms and gym.  



This is Katy in the kitchen.  Katy served many functions for us through the years and performed them all well.  I mentioned in an earlier post her adeptness at malaprops  and usually had us in stitches.  Funny and sweet, she was essential to us all.


This is my buddy Pat Johnson.  I forget which grandkid this is but she doesn't look too happy with whoever is shaking her hand.  I can't put into words adequately what Pat has meant to me through the decades.  I stay with her when I am up North and she is a gracious and generous hostess.  She has, and continues to play a large role in my life, and for that I am forever indebted.   


This is the front office area.  On the left is Randy's office and the next door down was Becky's.  Pat's is at the far left at the end of the hallway and to the right of the wooden closet door is the break room.  My office was right behind the photographer. 

It seems like yesterday - it seems like a lifetime ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant